The Sad Tale of Bman and Cobia KARMA

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

The Sad Tale of Bman and Cobia KARMA

Post by big bend gyrene »

Few months ago Bman asked if I'd help him introduce a few of his Atlanta friends to cobia fishing, with a friendly meet-up on the water where I'd take two of his friends out of one landing and meet his boat and crew on the water after they departed from a different landing. That fateful day was scheduled to take place on June 18, 2018... a date which will now live in infamy.

Got on the water just in time for a beautiful sunrise. After weeks of stormy weather, it was a huge relief to see a cloudless sky with completely flat seas.
Sunrise.jpg
Bman was supposed to trap bait in advance but a report from his end at first light was that traps were empty and we'd all have to catch bait before running offshore. ***MIGHTILY*** suspicious, I told my crew if he was at the meet-up spot before us, he'd lied and had bait... and sure enough he calls us as we're getting bait and asks what the hold up is.

So here's where karma starts kicking in... we finally get out and he's let his baitwell run dry and his bait is dead! :lol: Dude actually has the chutzpah to BUM a third of our bait off of us. :roll:

Thankfully the Big Man above was looking out for my crew to make things right! Almost as soon as we drop anchor we're getting hit and fairly quickly we've got a nice keeper on ice.
1st Keeper.jpg
Using a mega-zoom camera on my boat we keep an eye on the Evil Empire boat and get a scare or two with scenes like this one...
Bman Landing Fish.jpg
But each time they lift the net they've only landed mack minnows...
Mack Minnow.jpg
Meanwhile, back on Marine's Dream we're steady getting hits. In relatively short order we tag two shorts in the name of science.
1st Tagged.jpg
2nd Tagged.jpg
Then after a slight lull, just as we're about to cry uncle due to rising temps we get SLAMMED. Knowing we had something worthy of fighting I threw our anchor line over (have a float on the end), and grabbed the rod just long enough to confirm we were hooked into the target species. Felt a bit like Luke Skywalker taking a shot at the heart of the Death Star as Lord Bman Vader watched stuck on his distant perch. :wink:
Somebody's Watching You.jpg
Darn thing put up a HECK of a fight and we had several close calls where it wrapped up around the engine and a chum churn. Both times I was holding my breath waiting for the line to give way, but karma smiled on us and we acted quickly enough to keep the line intact. Only after about a 30 minute fight did we FINALLY get close enough for a fast gaff strike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StqNS5w9IUk[/video]

Even after I put the beast on ice, it was in a rather spirited mood. :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-wr9TUUHCk[/video]

Didn't take the obligatory trophy catch photo until the bruiser chilled out a while.
The Beast.jpg
Marine's Dream final tally - a limit of 2 bruiser keepers on ice and 2 additional cobia tagged in the name of science. Evil Empire boat - goose egg on the cobes with just a few macks to show for their troubles. Almost felt sorry for them between all the "WHOOOOOOOO!"s and "GOOGANS!" we were shouting their way... almost.

Seems there's NEVER a dull moment in the adventures that find Bman and I sharing company. Just thankful karma smiles on me as much as it does him from time to time. :-)
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
zload
Site Sponsor

Re: The Sad Tale of Bman and Cobia KARMA

Post by zload »

Now just waiting to hear the other side of the story :smt021

Karma can be a B eautiful thing!
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

So Bman really is alive? He's been so scarce around here that I thought he was in Canada scouting ducks. Turns out he was catching rigor mortis bait. :lol:

Nice trip and report, BBG. A couple quality lemon fish, for sure. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

:lol:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

looks like a fund day. Barry should know better than to net a king...
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Way to give' em fishin' lessons BBG

Beautiful Fish!

woop
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
big bend gyrene

woopty wrote:Way to give' em fishin' lessons BBG... Beautiful Fish!
Thanks for the kind words, Woopty. Honestly, after reviewing video, I think the problem with Bman's boat is they weren't calling 'em up with the right music... pretty sure you and I've noted before in past threads that cobes respond well to good 'ol swampy music!

Songs I identified as playing during our fights were as follows:

JJ Grey - 99 shades of crazy
Tony Joe White - 300 Pounds of Hongry
JJ Grey - Gal Youngin
Jon Fogerty - 110 In the Shade
Hank Williams Sr. - Jambalaya
Tony Joe White & Boozoo Bajou - Keep Going
ZZ Top - La Grange
7Horse - Let The 7Horse Run
JJ Grey - I Believe

Not sure what if anything Bman was listening to over on the Evil Empire boat but think he needs to update / upgrade his playlist! ;-) :lol:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

big bend gyrene wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, Woopty. Honestly, after reviewing video, I think the problem with Bman's boat is they weren't calling 'em up with the right music... pretty sure you and I've noted before in past threads that cobes respond well to good 'ol swampy music!

JJ Grey - Gal Youngin
ZZ Top - La Grange
JJ Grey - I Believe

Not sure what if anything Bman was listening to over on the Evil Empire boat but think he needs to update / upgrade his playlist! ;-) :lol:
PSA - Whatever you do don't search You Tube for 300 pounds of hongry... :lol:
2008 Yamaha 150
big bend gyrene

zload wrote:PSA - Whatever you do don't search You Tube for 300 pounds of hongry... :lol:
:smt005 :smt043 :smt044

My Mrs. probably doesn't weigh an ounce over 100 pounds, so can't speak to the validity of the song but lyrics are too funny not to share for those who haven't heard them!

Three hundred pounds of hongry
Down to her house every Sunday
Boil them taters and butter them buns
Lickin' that grease right off them thumbs
Three hundred pounds
Tall as she round
And every pound of that body so fine
I can hardly b'lieve that it's mine

Oooo, how that three hundred pounds amaze me
When she gets down in the gravy
God almighty, what a soulful groove
When she gets down in the barbecue
Three hundred pounds
Tall as she round
And every pound of that body so fine
I can hardly b'lieve that it's mine - oh man!

Everybody ask me why
Do you love a woman twice yo' size?
Well don't you know, the bigger the better
And that three hundred pounds sho'nuf got it all together
Lovin' that lard and gettin' them grits
Lovin' her mo' the bigger she gits
Now let yourself go
You big ol' thang, don't you know
I don't care if she weighs a ton
Long as I can butter yo' buns

Three hundred pounds
Tall as she round
You big ol' thang, don't you know
That, Lord, I love you so :-D
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Lets just say the music video that popped up when I searched for the song title would match the lyrics pretty well :o
2008 Yamaha 150
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

big bend gyrene wrote:

JJ Grey - Gal Youngin
ZZ Top - La Grange
JJ Grey - I Believe

Don't be giving away all the secrets...
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
big bend gyrene

woopty wrote:Don't be giving away all the secrets...
Good point, Woopty... on second thought think we listened to THIS on loop... ALL DAY LONG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfr64zoBTAQ[/video]