July 4th week at Mexico Beach

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bbb

July 4th week at Mexico Beach

Post by bbb »

NOAA was calling for 1-2’ seas all week so I brought an extra cooler for all the snapper filets we were gonna haul back.

Well Monday came around and we headed out of the canal and found 2-3’ seas at 3 miles and 3-4s at the 6 mile mark. We turned around and just fished some inshore structure and pretty much called it a day early.

Tuesday was much of the same as Monday.

Wednesday was the girls day and the seas were better. We hit the 12 mile mark and had 2-3’ seas but we had a livewell full of bait so we toughed it out to see what was biting. Caught some good fish and had our limit in a couple of hours.

Thursday was boys day again. 2-3s again. We caught 3 snapper and 5 b-liners before the storms ran us off the spot at 11am.

Friday was girls day. Seas were finally great for a bay boat. 2’ running out, but slicked off to 1’s. But flipper would not leave us alone this day. Spot 1, i chummed the snapper up behind the boat and had some nice fish behind us. First free-lined bait was gobbled up by a 5# fish, who was then gobbled up by a 500 pound Porpoise. Spot 2, 3, 4 etc etc same results. Flipper was everywhere.

Saturday we slept in and planned an afternoon trip as the storms seem to dissipate after lunch each day. Hit the ramp at 3:30 and pushed through the 2-3s, and got to the spot at 4:30. My buddy came out of PC in his boat and met us at the fishing spot. By 5:30 we our 6 snapper, but my buddy had none. He could not get the anchor to hold and was drift fishing while I was spot locked. I told him to put a couple boys on my boat and they caught 3 keepers and a couple AJs.
ImageImage

Came home a long ways from a cooler full of filets, but all the kids got at least one good fishing day in.

The fish cleaning station at Mexico Beach is top notch. 4 fish cleaning stations and a walk in cooler to leave the carcasses so they are not floating in the canal.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: July 4th week at Mexico Beach

Post by silverking »

Nice report. Looks like a good time was had by all. :thumbup:

That new ramp is nice. Have they brought in any Port-a-lets yet? When I was there this spring the only option was go across the street to the visitor's center, which wasn't the best solution with the dog in tow.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
bbb

Re: July 4th week at Mexico Beach

Post by bbb »

They have port a potty’s out there in the summer months. I also noticed them missing this past January. Guess they don’t keep them in the parking lot when snapper and grouper are not in season.