Mexico Beach week of 7/9 - 7/12

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

zload
Site Sponsor

Mexico Beach week of 7/9 - 7/12

Post by zload »

Drug the boat over to MB fir the first time in about 4 years.

Its HOT but seas were very flat other than on Tuesday when a large offshore thunderstorm kept us in close and the waves were rocking my bay boat pretty good, came in very early and worked on my trailer bunks while the boat was off.

It seemed to me the close in spots have been worked over pretty good, we caught a lot of snapper but many shorts (released of course) and flipper and his family are well fed. Had one pick off a nice sized snapper within visual range and the go under the boat and then surface and give me a tail slap to thank me for the snack. A few AJs, one vermillion, a spanish on a sabiki rig, a big trigger fish ( also released)plus the grouper and ARS. Had a FWC biology team survey us one day at the ramp, checked fish for size, gender and age I think she said.

Saw one party boat dropping on every reef nearby, would sit for a few drops then move to the next one.

Highlight of the trip was Wed. hooked up and landed about 14 grouper and put 4 keepers in the cooler... all 25” - 26” and the shorts released and swam off quickly, the kicker was i was only in 55’ of water for the majority of the gags one came in about 95’.

City ramp was pretty empty most of the week as compared to weekend traffic in the past and the fish cleaning station is nicer than the old one as it has running water , SS cleaning tables with maybe 6-8 “stations” with water and a cooler to put the carcasses in. Would be nice to screen it to reduce flies but better than the tailgate of a truck. Most of the snapper I saw being cleaned by recreational guys were in the same size range as mine 17” - 20” or so. Did not see any really large ones being cleaned even by some guides. They probably clean at their docks for the bigger boats.

Maybe go a little earlier in the season next year...

We stayed at Barefoot Cottages between PSJ and MB nice place, slerps up to six easy, lots of boat parking, boat wash area and easy drive either way.
Attachments
D88B888F-7604-4DE5-8286-FED2B792DE10.jpeg
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
John21:6

Re: Mexico Beach week of 7/9 - 7/12

Post by John21:6 »

Very nice.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Mexico Beach week of 7/9 - 7/12

Post by silverking »

Sounds like a good week. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat