Maiden Voyage for VISION II WON

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Crazytazman

Maiden Voyage for VISION II WON

Post by Crazytazman »

Wife and I left Valdosta at 4am today headed for carrabelle. Stop at lanark market and got ice bait and fueled up. Decided to put in right there thinking carrabelle was gonna be packed.
Wasn't sure how to get of there and head offshore so I followed some other boats.
Went out past dog island heading towards the o tower. Didn't really know where to head as this was my first time fishing the gulf. Well i guessed right.
About a two miles before the tower some birds were working a school of fish busting some bait. Threw out a clarks spoon and trolled it and sure enough it got hit. This is my wife's first offshore trip so I put her on the spinning real. This real has15lb test so she had fun fighting this fish. After 15min of tug a war we put a huge Bonita in the boat. Yeah bait.
Left the Bonita schooling and found a ledge that went from 60' to 72'. More red snapper cuberra snapper and gag grouper than you could shake a stick at. All grouper released cause I think the season is closed. If it isn't closed, lie to me and say it is. :D Anyway we got our limit of snapper. We fished that ledge for a while longer steady pulling up snapper and grouper. We just used squid and cigar minnows.Pulled up lines around 1130 and headed in. Had our two dogs with us and it was hot out there. Home by 5pm.
Btw, the weather was perfect. Light winds and flat calm. Boat ran good. Very impressed with Yamahas. Just a few issues to work on. Bilge stayed on and had to cut the wire to make it stop. No water in bottom of boat. Bilge was Very hot. Also when I pulled the plug on the brackets for the engines it had a lot of water in the brackets. That's disturbing to me. Don't want that filling up with water.
Until next time, tight lines,
CRAZYTAZMAN....
EddieJoe

Re: Maiden Voyage for VISION II WON

Post by EddieJoe »

Good first trip. Truth is season is open on gags, mangroves, and Red snapper in federal waters. But there are size and bag limits.

A good check out trip like you described is a winner. Pumps will go, and good to find it out now. Keep that ledge # for next time.

Luck,

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Crazytazman

Post by Crazytazman »

EJ, federal waters is 10 or miles out? Btw, the grouper were only 5-7lbs.
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Crazytazman wrote:EJ, federal waters is 10 or miles out? Btw, the grouper were only 5-7lbs.
10.3 miles from shore, and the line is marked on a chart plotter. Red grouper 20”, gags 24”, pinch tail to measure, minimum length. Can’t tell from the guessed weight whether they would have been legal or not. Mangroves minimum 12”, as I recall.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk