Mexico Beach 7/14-15

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bbb

Mexico Beach 7/14-15

Post by bbb »

Last edited by bbb on July 19th, 2018, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbb

Mexico Beach 7/14-15

Post by bbb »

Last edited by bbb on July 19th, 2018, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbb

Re: Mexico Beach 7/14-15

Post by bbb »

Juan wrote:Never launched from Mexico Beach but if the rain prediction stays at or below 40%, I think I'll get in one more snapper trip and launch another Sea Pro there Thursday and fish your spots. :-D Dumb question: If I launch at the public ramp in Mexico Beach, looks like the canal goes under Hwy 98. Will a 14' tower clear the bridge? Anything else I need to know to get into the gulf from the canal?
Check your messages.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

bbb wrote:
Juan wrote:Never launched from Mexico Beach but if the rain prediction stays at or below 40%, I think I'll get in one more snapper trip and launch another Sea Pro there Thursday and fish your spots. :-D Dumb question: If I launch at the public ramp in Mexico Beach, looks like the canal goes under Hwy 98. Will a 14' tower clear the bridge? Anything else I need to know to get into the gulf from the canal?
Check your messages.
Got it and replied. Thanks :thumbup:
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

bbb wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
bbb wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
bbb wrote:Somebody’s gotta be “that guy”. ;)

Only the Luhrs was a big boat. The other boats causing problems were 22’ or less bay boats also . They run up to within 300 yards on plane, then creep at 2500 rpms by you, like they are stealing a public number and then take off again after they pass you. We snapper fished about 10 days this season and had plenty of 30’ boats come by us on plane and it was no problem.
Especially with 300 yards between you. If your expecting people to give you more than 300 yards and throw no wake, then you have extremely lofty expectations. It’s just part of it, gotta take the good with the bad :beer:

I’m not wanting them to stay 300 yards away from where I’m fishing.

They come off plane at 100-300 yards directly behind my stern, and then run at 2500 rpms 30-50 yards off the side of the boat throwing a huge wake. If you think this is reasonable, then you may be part of the problem.

Most aren’t your normal offshore anglers. Those guys are running 20-40 miles out. My guess is these are weekend warriors out for their 1st or 2nd fishing trip this year.
Don’t want to get in a fight about it, I’ll just say this. An experienced offshore angler wouldn’t complain about boat wakes offshore. I showed this thread to some offshore guys that got a great laugh and had things to say like, “don’t take an 8 year old offshore in a 20’ bay boat if your worried about a 3’ wake”, “just wait till he’s caught in a pop up t storm, those 3’ wakes will seem like ripples”. ... good luck to you, I hope you don’t have the problem again
Well we can’t all have 30’ Yellowfins like you and your experienced offshore buddies. But if I’m spot locked with my bow into 2’ waves and somebody comes broadside at 50 yards running 10 miles an hour throwing a 3’ wake into the side of my boat instead of swinging 100 yards out and staying on plane, that experienced offshore angler is an IDIOT.
Dude, seriously? I prefaced it by saying I also offshore fish on a bay boat. I didn’t mean to upset anyone at all. But if people getting too close to you offshore is going to upset you, you will be upset a good bit I’m afraid. Thanks for the report, congratulations on your day
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Juan according to info here https://fishingdestinguide.com/boatramp ... STJOE.html clearance at the 98 bridge over the canal is 12’ +/- no idea how accurate that is, they suggest a second ramp on the gulf side of the bridge for height restricted boats. I don’t have a height issue but know where the suggested ramp is and it looks good to go from the water side. I checked Active Captain but no bridge height info there. Parking only at the big city ramp and its $10/day or $50 for annual pass that can only be picked up at City Hall.

You could also use PSJ city ramp in the bay no clearance issues there I think it also has a daily fee and a bit of a longer run to the gulf.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Thanks zload :thumbup: :thumbup: I hadn't seen that site when I searched for public ramps in MB. It's now added to my favorites list. 12 ft of clearance should be fine with the crow's nest down and I remember to do as SK mentioned and take rods out of rocket launchers... I learned that lesson the hard way and at the expense of a couple of cobia rigs :-D
bbb

Mexico Beach 7/14-15

Post by bbb »

Port St Joe City ramp adds about 6-8 miles to the trip. I’d do MB. We had 7’ rods up on the T top and cleared the bridge just fine.
bbb

Mexico Beach 7/14-15

Post by bbb »

EddieJoe wrote:I’ll ask:

Were you anchored on natural bottom (your number) or a public, artificial reef?
Public number. I know to expect company out there. But don’t come running up full speed like i’m not even there and then do a full circle around me with your bow pointed to the sky.

Also, even though I’m on the number, there are 6 other pyramids 100 feet from each other. We don’t need to fish the same pyramid.

Thats actually my new tactic for catching better fish. While idling up to the number, I’ll keep my eye on SideView and mark those addition deployments as they show up. Then I’ll idle over the 4-5 new numbers I just marked and fish one of them.

One of the boats came by last weekend and said “he’s not even on the number”. Just keep thinking that. ;)
EddieJoe

Mexico Beach 7/14-15

Post by EddieJoe »

Yep.

A number of years ago I was anchored on the Apalachicola reef fishing live bait for AJ. Two of us were in my 17’ Aquasport and one or both of us were fighting a fish most of the time. Those were the days.

A large, 50’+ sport fisherman with six guys on it motored about 35’ upwind and upcurrent of us and proceeded to power anchor and sit there rumbling nearly in our boat. The diesel exhaust and engine noise was nauseating, and when the anglers dropped baits they couldn’t have been 10’ from our lines and were over our anchor rope.

We were astonished at first, and began to yell at the Boat to move off. The captain shot me a bird and the rest of the crew just ignored us. After a while I had to move as conditions were so bad and we were outnumbered in any case.

The moral of this story is that behavior such as you experienced sure isn’t new, but there are a lot more boats out there so it probably is more common. A friend of mine was on a offshore sport charter out of Apalachicola last weekend, and he said a big Everglades bay with a Georgia registration shadowed the charter all day to every number, 25-30 miles offshore. Every time the charter moved, the bay Boat moved, using spot lock about 100’ away. Incredible.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I might understand someone moving in on another boat if there were limited public numbers in the area but after fishing Mexico Beach today, there's no excuse to do it there.. There are public numbers everywhere. Unfortunately there were also thunderstorms and 3 to 4 foot rollers that kept me from fishing the better ones.... not to mention my fishing partner eating sea sick pills like M&Ms and turning green before we even got out of the channel. His chumming didn't help either. :-D Backed down and stayed in close. No snapper (or blue fin tuna) but still managed 18 white trout and had fun catching small sharks.
Thanks to those who gave me info about the ramp and numbers. :thumbup: