Mexico Beach 7/14-15

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bbb

Mexico Beach 7/14-15

Post by bbb »

With the weather forecasted for <1 foot seas we had the head down again to keep the weatherman honest.

Got to the Bell Shoals area for bait and started catching pinfish for bait. While I was pulling in a pinfish, something grabbed it and straightened one of the sabiki hooks. Sent it out again and while retrieving another pinfish, something grabbed it again and straightened out a second hook. I’m thinking Goliath or Gag. So I grab a reel and flatline a bait towards the reef. Within 5 seconds he takes the bait. 10 minutes later we have meat in the boat. He had a twin buddy with him but we did not mess with him. 34.5” to the fork.

Got our bait and headed to 90’ running through 2-3s. Hit spot lock and within an hour we had our 6 snapper. I had cast netted a bunch of 2” pilchards in the canal and started chumming. The amberjack came out in full force crashing the water all around us. We only had one amberjack catcher on the boat so after she caught a couple, we were done amberjack fishing. Headed in and caught a few b- liners at the other stops.

Sunday morning we had a couple storms offshore but the area we fish looked rain free. We had another amberjack catcher on board so we caught a few hundred pilchards and headed to 90’. Snapper fishing was slow to start so we messed around with AJs when we got board.

Tax man came by and gave us a 30 break. Anyone know what species. It was at least 8ft.

Caught a couple of these for bait and then moved to a new spot and caught our 8 snapper.

Headed to the hill with 8 snapper and 3 b liners. Now the wait for fall grouper begins.

Now for my rant. Saturday we had a boat with 4 younger kids idle up off my bow at 20 yards, then move beside me and spot lock at 20 yards. 14 miles offshore. We already had 5 snapper in the boat and quit fishing. Luckily they caught nothing and left after 30 minutes.

Sunday sitting in 1’ or less seas, we had 3 boats run within 50 yards of us. Not a huge deal with the distance. But using 1/3 throttle which throws a huge wake. One boat was a 40’ Lurhs charter. Another was a new Robalo bay boat with 5 young people Both sent 3’ rollers at us that hit us sideways. Sorry but you will get yelled at and get gestures when you do stupid crap like this while I have an 8 yr old fighting a 30# AJ. Some people just quit using their brains when they get in a boat.
Last edited by bbb on July 19th, 2018, 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: Mexico Beach 7/14-15

Post by Juan »

Wow.. Nice trip. :thumbup: Had to be some sore arms after those AJs.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Nice. Juan beat me to it. Your lady angler got a serious workout. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

AWESOME report! Love the cobe eating pins off the sabiki share. :thumbup: :beer:

As for the jack@$$ boaters, sure had my run in with a few as well... very best medicine is getting to watch karma bite them with no catches. Looking at the report, seems to me the Big Man above was watching out for y'all. :smt045
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Great report thanks for sharing. I’ll play the devils advocate ( disclaimer,,I also fish offshore in a bay boat) I’ve never heard anyone complain about the size of a wake a boat was pushing offshore. I can assure you, most aren’t thinking about wakes 10+ miles offshore. They would probably say, don’t bring a bay boat offshore of your worried about wakes. I may be way off base here, but I think that’s part of it. If your going to fish where the big boats play, be prepared for big wakes, especially with sportfishers, those things always throw a huge wake :beer:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
bbb

Mexico Beach 7/14-15

Post by bbb »

Only the Luhrs was a big boat. The other boats causing problems were 22’ or less bay boats also . They run up to within 100 yards on plane, then creep at 2500 rpms by you at 50 yards, like they are stealing a public number and then take off again after they pass you. We snapper fished about 10 days this season and had plenty of 30’ boats come by us on plane and it was no problem.
Last edited by bbb on July 19th, 2018, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

bbb wrote:Somebody’s gotta be “that guy”. ;)

Only the Luhrs was a big boat. The other boats causing problems were 22’ or less bay boats also . They run up to within 300 yards on plane, then creep at 2500 rpms by you, like they are stealing a public number and then take off again after they pass you. We snapper fished about 10 days this season and had plenty of 30’ boats come by us on plane and it was no problem.
Certainly not trying to be that guy, but I have just never heard anyone complain about a wake offshore. In a channel or no wake zone, sure, but on the open gulf??? Especially with 300 yards between you. Sorry you didn’t appreciate it, but It will happen again. You will see it the more you offshore fish. Im sorry to say, people just aren’t worried about wakes offshore, you can get used to it , find some private numbers or stay inshore. If your expecting people to give you more than 300 yards and throw no wake, then you have extremely lofty expectations. It’s just part of it, gotta take the good with the bad :beer:
bbb

Mexico Beach 7/14-15

Post by bbb »

Last edited by bbb on July 19th, 2018, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

bbb wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
bbb wrote:Somebody’s gotta be “that guy”. ;)

Only the Luhrs was a big boat. The other boats causing problems were 22’ or less bay boats also . They run up to within 300 yards on plane, then creep at 2500 rpms by you, like they are stealing a public number and then take off again after they pass you. We snapper fished about 10 days this season and had plenty of 30’ boats come by us on plane and it was no problem.
Especially with 300 yards between you. If your expecting people to give you more than 300 yards and throw no wake, then you have extremely lofty expectations. It’s just part of it, gotta take the good with the bad :beer:

I’m not wanting them to stay 300 yards away from where I’m fishing.

They come off plane at 100-300 yards directly behind my stern, and then run at 2500 rpms 30-50 yards off the side of the boat throwing a huge wake. If you think this is reasonable, then you may be part of the problem.

Most aren’t your normal offshore anglers. Those guys are running 20-40 miles out. My guess is these are weekend warriors out for their 1st or 2nd fishing trip this year.
Don’t want to get in a fight about it, I’ll just say this. An experienced offshore angler wouldn’t complain about boat wakes offshore. I showed this thread to some offshore guys that got a great laugh and had things to say like, “don’t take an 8 year old offshore in a 20’ bay boat if your worried about a 3’ wake”, “just wait till he’s caught in a pop up t storm, those 3’ wakes will seem like ripples”. ... good luck to you, I hope you don’t have the problem again
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Never launched from Mexico Beach but if the rain prediction stays at or below 40%, I think I'll get in one more snapper trip and launch another Sea Pro there Thursday and fish your spots. :-D Dumb question: If I launch at the public ramp in Mexico Beach, looks like the canal goes under Hwy 98. Will a 14' tower clear the bridge? Anything else I need to know to get into the gulf from the canal?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Juan wrote:Never launched from Mexico Beach but if the rain prediction stays at or below 40%, I think I'll get in one more snapper trip and launch another Sea Pro there Thursday and fish your spots. :-D Dumb question: If I launch at the public ramp in Mexico Beach, looks like the canal goes under Hwy 98. Will a 14' tower clear the bridge? Anything else I need to know to get into the gulf from the canal?
Juan, I launched there in April. You should be OK with your tower. Might have to lower antennas and rods but should have clearance. If launching solo, you might also throw a couple of fenders over the side. Some of the bulkheads along the seawall/docks have some sharp barnacles that would chew up gelcoat. Channel depth is fine for your size boat.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
RedMann
Site Sponsor

Post by RedMann »

He's talking about folks coming in less than 50 yards from someone while they are anchored up fishing. Not sure what is right about that or especially what's funny about it.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

silverking wrote:
Juan wrote:Never launched from Mexico Beach but if the rain prediction stays at or below 40%, I think I'll get in one more snapper trip and launch another Sea Pro there Thursday and fish your spots. :-D Dumb question: If I launch at the public ramp in Mexico Beach, looks like the canal goes under Hwy 98. Will a 14' tower clear the bridge? Anything else I need to know to get into the gulf from the canal?
Juan, I launched there in April. You should be OK with your tower. Might have to lower antennas and rods but should have clearance. If launching solo, you might also throw a couple of fenders over the side. Some of the bulkheads along the seawall/docks have some sharp barnacles that would chew up gelcoat. Channel depth is fine for your size boat.
Thanks SK!
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

Good chance for another Blue Fin Tuna!
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

I’ll ask:

Were you anchored on natural bottom (your number) or a public, artificial reef?

If on natural bottom, especially by yourself and fighting a fish way offshore, anyone parking near you or waking your boat is a jerk. I won’t anchor close to another boat on natural bottom, even if I have the same number. I just move on. If you don’t it isn’t illegal but IMO it’s rude as can be.

If on an artificial reef, good manners and boating etiquette still apply. Don’t anchor too close, don’t upset a fighting fish, and no big wakes.

I don’t know what “offshore fisherman” have been asked about this but if they are saying it’s just fine and laughable to high wake an anchored boat offshore they are ignorant jackasses. What’s the difference between the 25’ bay Boat high waking a 12’ Jon Boat in the river and laughing about it? Jon Boat shouldn’t be there because a storm would create bigger waves? That’s crude.

Too many fishermen and boaters have the manners of a wild hog on the water.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk