Gyrene vs Goliath

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redfin
Site Sponsor

Re: Gyrene vs Goliath

Post by Redfin »

Yea - according to SK you need to have a minimum of 1,000 posts/comments - to be considered a legitimate, contributing member of the BBF.net society. Only then is it ok to ask entitled questions. (Whatever that means)

And this is why more people don't comment or ask questions....
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Sorry for long delay in getting back to this thread... just been super busy.

As a member of a number of forums, I'll defend BBF by saying it's generally quite a bit more friendly than other forums I visit and with quite a bit less drama.

That said, folks on every fishing forum I've visited are a bit protective of spots they fish... and understandably so. Anyone who visits many forums will know I'm speaking the truth... pictures with shore backgrounds blurred/swirled out, pictures with GPS machines blacked out, and intentionally changing locations in reports to lead folks to wrong locations.

In general, what I've found to be the accepted norm on BBF is that VERY experienced folks INCLUDING and maybe even especially Silverking are QUITE GENEROUS on sharing methodologies, gear tips, and general knowledge... but when it comes to SPECIFIC spots many feel folks should put time on the water to really LEARN the waters versus simply being spoon fed intel gained from years of effort. Can't say I disagree with that sentiment, having spent my first 3 years here paddling canoes and kayaks from exposed oyster bar to oyster bar on low tides, sometimes having to haul myself back to shore through knee deep mud on really low tides. Found some of my favorite inshore spots that way and somehow just giving someone names / numbers cheapens that experience.

Above shared, much as with cobia I'd say the same applies to goliath grouper in our neck of the woods... almost ALL midshore / offshore structures hold them now. No spot is more of a magical location for them than others, though sometimes they sure feed more aggressively than others. Such was the case when we were fishing this last go round. Had them try to rob cobia, grouper, and spanish macks at the surface and they repeatedly swiped crabs and our bigger baitfish from us.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

No offense - and I get your argument; but the guy didn't ask for GPS numbers. Saying out of St Marks or Aucilla in 40 feet of water ain't giving up nothing in my opinion.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Redfin wrote:No offense - and I get your argument; but the guy didn't ask for GPS numbers. Saying out of St Marks or Aucilla in 40 feet of water ain't giving up nothing in my opinion.
When you post a report then you can answer what you like. If I were posting a report, I wouldn’t have a problem saying where I put in or what depth I fished,but, If BBG doesn’t want to say where he put in or how deep he was fishing , that’s up to him. Way to many cyber scouters
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Well by golly I will
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

big bend gyrene wrote:Sorry for long delay in getting back to this thread... just been super busy.

As a member of a number of forums, I'll defend BBF by saying it's generally quite a bit more friendly than other forums I visit and with quite a bit less drama.

That said, folks on every fishing forum I've visited are a bit protective of spots they fish... and understandably so. Anyone who visits many forums will know I'm speaking the truth... pictures with shore backgrounds blurred/swirled out, pictures with GPS machines blacked out, and intentionally changing locations in reports to lead folks to wrong locations.

In general, what I've found to be the accepted norm on BBF is that VERY experienced folks INCLUDING and maybe even especially Silverking are QUITE GENEROUS on sharing methodologies, gear tips, and general knowledge... but when it comes to SPECIFIC spots many feel folks should put time on the water to really LEARN the waters versus simply being spoon fed intel gained from years of effort. Can't say I disagree with that sentiment, having spent my first 3 years here paddling canoes and kayaks from exposed oyster bar to oyster bar on low tides, sometimes having to haul myself back to shore through knee deep mud on really low tides. Found some of my favorite inshore spots that way and somehow just giving someone names / numbers cheapens that experience.

Above shared, much as with cobia I'd say the same applies to goliath grouper in our neck of the woods... almost ALL midshore / offshore structures hold them now. No spot is more of a magical location for them than others, though sometimes they sure feed more aggressively than others. Such was the case when we were fishing this last go round. Had them try to rob cobia, grouper, and spanish macks at the surface and they repeatedly swiped crabs and our bigger baitfish from us.
Ok cool - what does midshore mean?

Nearshore/ inshore/ offshore...

Feel free to PM me
All photos copyright @saverymill
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Not sure I’ve heard midshore either. Maybe he was thinking nearshore. If not, my guess would be between nearshore and offshore. What say you BBG? Any big wreck or reef will hold them if your looking to tangle with them. Think 20+ feet with big relief. If I were targeting them, I’d think about the 24 reef, any of the towers, Bryson or anywhere there is a sunken barge or other big structure especially with big holes they can get in. Won’t really be on live bottom. The inshore reefs like rotary, big bend and dog Ballard may hold some also. Go get em
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

It wouldn't shock me at all to hear their are a few on the wreck in front of the SM light house. That being said all the artificial reefs hold them or at least every one I have dove on does. Also they love to eat big blue crabs!
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Salty Gator wrote:...my guess would be between nearshore and offshore. What say you BBG?
Exactly. Admittedly a quite arbitrary word that likely would be defined quite differently from person to person and / or place to place.

I generally think of our bay's flats to be inshore until you reach at least 15+' depths, as you can find grass / trout around and are still well within sight of land. When I think of offshore I think deeper waters holding snapper, AJs, Mahi Mahi, ect... 50'+ on out depending on targeted species. So when I say midshore, I'm thinking about depths that run from the 20s to 40s where you can start picking up keeper groupers and kings but not deeper water game fish. Close enough to land to just make it out but far enough to make you wonder what your odds would be making it back if anything goes wrong. :( Again, that's just how I use the term... wouldn't make a lick of sense using it in the same way for Miami, Destin, or other areas where deep water is much closer to shore.

And dittos again on what Salty Gator and Tailwaters said about easily finding goliaths. They aren't hard to find on any of our area's structures... and they DO LOVE big blue crabs for sure and certain.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945