Gyrene vs Goliath

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Gyrene vs Goliath

Post by big bend gyrene »

With solunar forecast looking red hot this past Wednesday, I sent a shout out to Bman to see if he might want to cruise around looking for cobes.

Though the solunar forecast was right, no need for too long of a post... we found bait THICK on several hot spots AND after putting over 30 pins in the live well at first light we went through them quickly with steady bites.

Problem was the emphasis was on "BITES", and alas not "CATCHES". Did manage to tag two just-short cobes, with salt rubbed in the wound on the lack of keepers after several bigger ones swiped at eel jigs but without buttoning up / staying buttoned.
IMG_5780R.jpg
IMG_5788R.jpg
Throughout the day we had multiple baits AND even fish on hooks get swiped by BIG hits, including one topwater hit by a goliath chasing a short gag that left no doubt what monster fish was robbing us. Right before heading for the hill, I decided a bit of payback was due for the thievery. I've actually had such a wrestling match on my bucket list for a while, so was happy that the opportunity afforded itself to mark it off the list. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjpZl2Ab_SU[/video]
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Re: Gyrene vs Goliath

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

That was awesome Damn sure showed him who was Boss !!! I know Jew fish are a pain sometimes but I don' t believe I would ever want to kill one.
big bend gyrene

THOMAS CITY CURVE wrote:That was awesome Damn sure showed him who was Boss !!! I know Jew fish are a pain sometimes but I don' t believe I would ever want to kill one.
Lest anyone wonder it was QUITE alive and well when released!

Knowing it to be against the regs to pull it over the gunnels I decided to hop in for a quick picture beside it in the water. While emptying my pockets / before I even had the chance to jump in it did a massive head shake and threw the hook.

Not that Bman wasn't looking at it lustfully with visions of a lifetime of grouper sammiches dancing through his head, though... :wink: :lol:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
THOMAS CITY CURVE
Site Sponsor

Post by THOMAS CITY CURVE »

Our friend caught this one in 100 ft. a couple years ago on a four O senator. We all told him to get in the water for some pictures. He recently finished his new home and told me the pictures are one of his favorite things in it.
Jew fish.JPG
This fish was also released unharmed.
bbb

Post by bbb »

That is pretty awesome. Looks like I need to add some mule tape and gloves to my boat.

Its amazing how fast you can get them up on rope.

Wonder if the same could be done with an AJ. Hmmmmm
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Handlining a goliath :lol:
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Vitz

Post by Vitz »

What'd you feed him for bait?
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

very cool. how did your hands look after the tug of war?
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
big bend gyrene

SHOWBOAT wrote:very cool. how did your hands look after the tug of war?
Showboat, didn't hurt the hands at all. Not sure if it was because the rope was soft from age, salt, and a bit of algae OR if I was appropriately careful to let it have line when it couldn't be stopped. On the other hand, shoulders were just an iota sore the next day. :lol:
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes »

Nice catch on the Goliath. Those things are getting to be too plentiful and maybe time for a season IMO. Where were ya'll fishing out of if you don't mind me asking?
Geno67

Post by Geno67 »

Outstanding. On my list as well next time out at any of the towers.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Thx for the video. Now I know for sure that I don't want anything to do with one of those big boys.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Rhodes wrote:Nice catch on the Goliath. Those things are getting to be too plentiful and maybe time for a season IMO. Where were ya'll fishing out of if you don't mind me asking?
Out of St. Marks / Aucilla?
How deep were you?
All photos copyright @saverymill
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Srbenda wrote:
Rhodes wrote:Nice catch on the Goliath. Those things are getting to be too plentiful and maybe time for a season IMO. Where were ya'll fishing out of if you don't mind me asking?
How deep were you?
Pretty entitled for <5 posts. :roll:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

silverking wrote:
Srbenda wrote:
How deep were you?
Pretty entitled for <5 posts. :roll:
By asking a question?
All photos copyright @saverymill