Flounder x 13 = Great Day!

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

John21:6

Flounder x 13 = Great Day!

Post by John21:6 »

Just over a year and a half ago, I bought my boat. Since then, fewer than 6 flounder made it into the cooler, and none of them were caught by me. All that changed on Thursday.

I was hoping to make it to the Rotary Reefs to try for cobia, but the seas were too rough. So we stopped near the St. Marks Reef to see what we could catch using light jigs on the bottom. Some of our jigs were baited with Gulp shrimp or Gulp pogies, and some were baited with small 2" pinfish. We moved the jigs slowly along the bottom and added 13 flounder to the cooler along with a seabass and a couple grunts.

We also hung larger pinfish off the back of the boat and caught about 5 sharks, which were 2 to 4 feet in length.

By early afternoon, we were on the way back to shore.

By the way, I still have not caught a cobia. If you are one of the cobia experts, feel free to share your cobia tips with me.
Last edited by John21:6 on September 7th, 2018, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Srbenda

Re: Flounder x 13 = Great Day!

Post by Srbenda »

John21:6 wrote:Just over a year and a half ago, I bought my boat. Since then, fewer than 6 flounder made it into the cooler, and none of them were caught by me. All that changed on Thursday.

I was hopping to make it to the Rotary Reefs to try for cobia, but the seas were too rough. So we stopped near the St. Marks Reef to see what we could catch using light jigs on the bottom. Some of our jigs were baited with Gulp shrimp or Gulp pogies, and some were baited with small 2" pinfish. We moved the jigs slowly along the bottom and added 13 flounder to the cooler along with a seabass and a couple grunts.

We also hung larger pinfish off the back of the boat and caught about 5 sharks, which were 2 to 4 feet in length.

By early afternoon, we were on the way back to shore.

By the way, I still have not caught a cobia. If you are one of the cobia experts, feel free to share your cobia tips with me.
13! Wow
You can try a white jerk bait for cobia- and the pinfish too.
All photos copyright @saverymill