Quite LATE Oct Report - Racing Against Hurricane Michael

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Quite LATE Oct Report - Racing Against Hurricane Michael

Post by big bend gyrene »

Ok, so more than two months behind but been crazy busy and what's the old saying, "Better late than never?" :lol:

Try keeping this one from being too long... few BBF long-timers might recall my main fishing bud for years was Sharkman. That is until his career path took him to Tampa.

Past few years we've still made it a point to chase cobes together once or twice a year whenever possible. This year he brought up several friends with the goal of trying to put them on an October cobia bite. October can be hit or miss as our waters generally start cooling, but with warm weather leading up to the trip we were guardedly optimistic.

They actually brought up a boat and fished Oct 5 while I worked. They hooked some cobia but had no luck getting them to the boat. I boated out alone to meet up with them on the 6th and turned out that while we were all out together we had the same kind of luck. Good bites with enough short grouper to keep us awake but despite few suspected cobia bites none pulled over the gunnels in the morning. Tired from two days fishing they called it a day around lunchtime and headed back in with their boat to make the drive back down to Tampa.

Having made only 3 or 4 salt trips this past year I decided to stay out alone a bit longer and the decision paid in a 33.5" fork length keeper. On the way back in I ran into diving birds and caught a handful of spanish just for the sheer fun of it. One was an absolute MOGAN so I threw it on ice with the cobia.
IMG_3464_Copy.jpg
Made the trip while Hurricane Michael was just a tropical disturbance down around the Yucatan... was so pretty when I made the run out of the Econfina I risked filming the run by drone. Little did I know at that moment how quickly things would change in less than a week... If video looks a bit funky can either watch it on YouTube or lower the resolution to 480p when watching in the thread and it should be easier on the eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TCgcm3Xe0o[/video]
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
FishWithChris

Re: Quite LATE Oct Report - Racing Against Hurricane Michael

Post by FishWithChris »

Incredible video!!! Even better at the highest settings.

Did you have a chase-drone or someone else filming from shore / your boat / chase boat? I could watch that for days.

nice fish!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Thats the coolest video I have ever seen of our paradise. Bravo BBG...and nice fish!

woop
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

that's a cool video
i want one of them
nice fish
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Cool video, I dont know that I'd trust my drone to follow me, I have already had to fish one out of a pond. One day I am going to take it fishing with me but I always fear the Gopro curse that follows me.
big bend gyrene

Filmed by me alone using Mavic Pro drone that I flew up above the boat and then put into "active track" mode (using phone as the remote controller, you simply drag a box around the object you wish the drone to track).

Though it was the first time putting the drone over salt water, I DID DO a DYI mod to it by constructing a float system for it and then tested it multiple times over the freshwater pond on my place, both taking off from the water AND landing it on the water until I felt I had a good chance of using it safely over saltwater with light winds. Put together the same basic float system as shown in this video though I got extensions that angled outwards a bit more (to increase stability) and also used a special foam-friendly paint to make my floats high-vis orange. Also added a wrap of electric tape between the Mavic legs and the extensions to make sure it was a super tight fit / that the floats wouldn't fall off during flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUESi-tdVNc[/video]
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

And lest I feel responsible for anyone going out and sinking their own drone, I should add that I took quite a bit of time on land learning how to use the DJI features. STRONGLY advise anyone who gets one to use "Beginner Mode", start out doing very conservative flights in an open field free of any obstacles, and then take time to slowly test out the various flight modes.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Super cool. I couldn’t get it to play for a while, but got it figured out. Thanks for posting
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Interesting, most people take off from the boat and grab it out of the air to land, a mavic definitely isn't something you want to take a swim.
big bend gyrene

Doomtrpr_z71, did take off from the deck of the boat and landed on the deck as well. Should have better explained I did the mod as an additional safety factor in the event anything went wrong in flight. Have grabbed a few times as well, but when alone don't like doing it as the engine races like crazy fighting to retake control until throttled down. Easier grabbing with a 2nd person on board controlling the drone, but alone not quite as much. Take offs and landings in calm pond waters were only for ensuring concept would work in emergency and worked like a charm -- Mavic stayed dry. But out at the Ecky, again, took off and landed from my deck.