St. Marks 3 - 17

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

caseycook

St. Marks 3 - 17

Post by caseycook »

Went this morning to St. Marks, got to Shields around 7:15, launched the boat and fished out near Palmetto Island. The wind was ripping out of the North at about 15-20 and there was no water in the bay. We went out past the Bird Rack to turn. At the Bird Rack, we were in a whopping 3 ft. of water. Slowly ran (because of the big waves) to the Palmetto Island area. Made about 50 casts and decided to head in. The wind was blowing too hard and you could hardly retrieve your lure fast enough because the boat was drifting so quickly. Had to run out to the bird rack to find enough water to get back in the channel. Once in the channel, we were greeted with some big A$$ waves (or at least they looked that way in a 17 ft flats boat). On the way in from the bird rack to the buoy after the Long Bar, we swamped the boat (because of the 4-5 ft. waves), but were lucky as hell because we were able to get it into shallow water and use the bilge pump to get all the water out. It was scary; the first time I've ever had to tell people to put on lifejackets in the boat. I think the big waves were caused by the whipping 15-20 mph North wind (out the channel) combined with the tide trying to come back in. The lady at Shields told us that two boats had sunk in the last hour when we were pulling out.

I learned 3 things today.

1) Always keep your life jackets handy and have enough for the people on your boat.

2) Keep something in your boat that you can bail with if the bilge pump can't get the water out faster than it comes in.

3) Always keep a dry set of clothes on board. It sucks getting soaked with 60 degree water and then having to run 10 miles back to the ramp in 50 degree weather.

We were very lucky today. If anyone goes tomorrow, be careful.

CC
Boom goes the dynamite.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

You left out the most important thing you learned today :o
IF YOU THINK IT'S GONNA BE ROUGH, GO HOME :o CAUSE IT'S USUALLY MUCH WORSE THAN YOU THINK IT IS :-D Glad y'all made it in safe :thumbup: but remember, there's always another day ta fish, if you don't kill yourself trying ta fish when you shouldn't "I had ta learn the hard way also" :beer: :beer:
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

Dang, glad you made it back alive! Wevans is right, if there is any doubt, stay on the shore. Most of us have learned the hard way because you just can't explain to someone how bad it can get. You have lived to fish another day and you still have your boat. You are one of the lucky ones today! :thumbup:
You gonna talk, or you gonna fish?
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Glad you got back safe :thumbup: ....that channel can produce really tough conditions on windy days.
Perch Jerker
Site Sponsor

Post by Perch Jerker »

Tough day CC. Glad things turned out OK. Thanks for the hard reminder. Good words of wisdom from Wevans, also. It's tough to make a long trip down, full of anticipation, and then have to sit a day out. But sometimes it's certainly the smartest thing to do...
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Been there done that. Unfortunately experience is the best teacher.
Glad you're safe.
Now don't do it again or you'll get a spanking.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Flats Rascal
Site Sponsor

Post by Flats Rascal »

Wow.

Bet that hot shower at the house felt good.

8)
Jesus saves, George Nelson withdraws!
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Your very lucky because we watched as two boats were capsized today at the St Marks Lighthouse. One was a Jonboat with three people aboard and one was a fiberglass boat with two people aboard. The boats were still out in the water when I left. Seatow came out and moved them out of the way. We could not tell if it was a Georgia or Florida Jon Boat but the guys appeared to be three college students on board. Good news is they all lived. Oh yea, we were watching you from the lighthouse. Saw you trying to get off that flat.

Last edited by jsuber on March 17th, 2007, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flats Rascal
Site Sponsor

Post by Flats Rascal »

Did you shoot that pic before or after you jumped in for the rescue?

:-D
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

A boat picked up three of the people and took them to an island that one of they guys was fishing on, and left them there to pick up the other two. The guy driving the boat told the three to take off their clothes to warm up. They didn't.
caseycook

Post by caseycook »

I thought I saw you out there Jeff...did you at least catch some fish?
Boom goes the dynamite.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Are you crazy, I stayed in the truck. It was terrible out there. First tournament I didn't even fish in.
Flats Rascal
Site Sponsor

Post by Flats Rascal »

A boat picked up three of the people and took them to an island that one of they guys was fishing on, and left them there to pick up the other two. The guy driving the boat told the three to take off their clothes to warm up. They didn't.

:o
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Deep water & wind = big waves...as JT said experience unfortunately is the best way to learn, that's how I learned. Glad you made back okay :thumbup: :thumbup:
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

SMALL CRAFT OPERATORS SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION

Do we need to have this translated to english?

Dubble :smt009
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.