Keaton May 15-16 Trout and Tarpon.....

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bigblister
Site Sponsor

Keaton May 15-16 Trout and Tarpon.....

Post by bigblister »

Dad, NJ and I headed down to hopefully catch a few trout this weekend. Negative tide on Friday evening created some skinny water and we found a nice limstone rock. It put a nice gash on the bottom of the skiff.

We hit the water early Saturday, north of Keaton and started picking up fish as soon as we stopped. Water temp was around 80-83 all weekend. The trout bite continued until around 1130. Dad picked up 2 nice 18" fish right off the bat and I followed up on our first drift with this nice 24" trout (looked like she had already droped most of her eggs, very little roe).
DL 24" Trout no Roe
DL 24" Trout no Roe
image1.jpg (171.15 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
We were fishing with soft plastics all weekend under a popping cork. We were in 4.5 - 5.5 feet water most of the time.

The highlight of the trip had to be when I was working my popping cork back to the boat when something took it. I thought it was a large trout for maybe 1/2 second the my drag on my shimano began to scream. I let him go then gave one quick jerk and the water exploded with a very large tarpon probably around 75 -100lbs. I was using 10lb test fireline with a 30lb. leader. I thought it would be a 20 second fight but we cranked up the boat up and began the chase.

Luckily, I had my camera in my pocket that does video and I handed it off to NJ. He fired it up and actually got a few nice breaches on film. The whole fight lasted about 15 minutes and we were weaving around other boats and going through their drifts, sorry. I have the video below I posted on YouTube. The first video has one jump about 13 seconds in and the next has 2 jumps right next to the boat before he made a circle around my popping cork and broke it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD5UurG9Nwg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFJNXms338E

We finished off the Saturday with 15 trout and one spanish.
Saturday's catch
Saturday's catch
sat.jpg (327.85 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
NJ and DL
NJ and DL
sant.jpg (229.38 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
Sunday was a little slower but we still managed a 9 nice trout.
Sunday
Sunday
Sunday
sun.jpg (252.38 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
Blister
Matthew 4:19
What a mess

Re: Keaton May 15-16 Trout and Tarpon.....

Post by What a mess »

yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: Keaton May 15-16 Trout and Tarpon.....

Post by SS-342 »

Good report...nice fish!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP