Shell Point 7/19/14

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishfalcon

Shell Point 7/19/14

Post by fishfalcon »

Fished the falling tide on Saturday morning starting a little after 9 with a buddy from work and his 7 year old son. Late start because of the tides and the fact that I had a brand new cranking battery from Crums. I won't write about Friday night's adventure other than to say after I lost my cobia in the grass things went from bad to worse and it is lonely in the dark. We fished a spot that held fish two weeks ago throwing live baits and a variety of gulps and soft plastics with one 15.5" trout to show for it. I wanted to stay close to home because of all the dark clouds around us, but finally decided to make a move. While running to another spot ( it was rough), I ran over a big transition so we turned around and decided to drift over it. Great decision. The 7 year old caught a 17" unassisted on a silver shrimp plus a couple of shorts and I let him reel in my 4 from 18-21". He also got to fight the bonus 3.5 ft Atlantic sharpnose that took my drift bait. He wanted his picture taken and his Dad told him I wasn't going to put the shark in the boat. Well, I hate to disappoint kids, so I grabbed the shark held him for the picture. It is a great pic. We swung around for another drift and I heard thunder, so we hammered down and managed to get the boat out before the bottom fell out. A short but productive trip. The best part was the marker on construction paper thank you card I received yesterday that said "thank you for taking me fishing" with a drawing of us on the boat.
kikstand454

Re: Shell Point 7/19/14

Post by kikstand454 »

Awesome report! The kid will remember that forever.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

:thumbup:
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
2true

Post by 2true »

Awwww :-D
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

:thumbup: nice work, but how about sharing the story from the night before
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Not much to say. I lost my cobia in the grass and got frustrated. it was getting dark so I decided to head home. I turned the key and got about two turns from the motor and then silence. I turned off all my electronics and tried again and no luck. Plugged in my trolling motor and yep, it is dead also. Called the wife (honey I may be a little late) and my neighbor (who had put his boat in the shop) and started with the paddle. The tide was ripping out and I made no progress. I then started throwing my anchor out and dragging the boat to it. After an hour, I had made about 100 yards. My neighbor was able to borrow a boat and come get me. we jumped the boat first try and I made it in. Comedy of errors. I thought it was going to be simple. My Sea Tow membership is up to date and I should have just called them. Anyway, no trouble with the new battery on Saturday.