St marks east 8/22

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

procraftwes
Site Sponsor

St marks east 8/22

Post by procraftwes »

Fished about 3 miles east of the lighthouse.

Got out around 11 and snagged a 16" on the first or second cast. Fishing died minus annoying ladyfish. This was at high tide in about 7'.

Picked back up around 1pm but snagged a couple of large sailcats in between one of which broke my new rod while removing the hook :x .. Was not happy.

2nd hookup was a 3-4' blacktip on a large pinfish. Heres where things turn.. HE BROKE MY OTHER ROD... Dame scenario so I guess I need to analyze my hook removal techniques hanging the fish overboard. Anyone know about how much it costs to repair 2 rods broken about 6" down from the tip? To anyone else on the flats within a mile I apologize for the profanity :-D.

Luckily I had another rod and snagged a fat 19" trout and another 2 around 16". I called it a day although the bite was still on. I had my limit and the heat was getting to me.

Surprisingly the last 3 trout were caught as hot as it gets between 1-230pm and in pretty shallow water.. about 3-5'.

Only fished one pinfish livelined and caught that shark. Everything else was caught on a popping cork with either live shrimp or gulp shrimp.. Didn't seem to matter either way.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: St marks east 8/22

Post by Salty Gator »

Man, that sucks about the rods, hate to hear that. The only way to fix thse rods are to put a new tip on. It is very easy to do yourself, probably cost $5 for both. It will definitely change the action of the rods. Depending on brand, there may be a warantee. When I fish solo, I'll back off the drag when the fight is over. Then grab the leader w my left hand and dehooker in my right and dehook. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Seems as though its tough if not impossible to wrap and keep the integrity of the rod as you said. These were too far down to just add a rodtip so it was either trash them or figure out something.

I used a donor rod, cut pieces to slide over and join them using epoxy resin. Not pretty but beats the dumpster.

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Wow, that's some pretty nice work McGuyver. :thumbup: I've never seen anything like that. Maybe a little added weight to the tip , but probably not too bad. Let us know how they perform.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Salty Gator wrote:Wow, that's some pretty nice work McGuyver. :thumbup: I've never seen anything like that. Maybe a little added weight to the tip , but probably not too bad. Let us know how they perform.
Will do.

I also repaired a few bow eyes with braid and epoxy by re-wrapping them.. the Guides were toast. That worked well.