St Marks 10/26

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

timmy0257

St Marks 10/26

Post by timmy0257 »

Went to put in at the lighthouse around 1045am yesterday and found an extremely low tide. Finally got in the water around 1130am at the ramp in the town of St Marks. All the bars were visible so we fished on both sides with little luck. Lots of fish jumping and rolling around, but no luck on top water or with Gulp shrimp. I bought a couple Yozuri 3D shrimp and decided to give that a shot under the cork. Also with no luck. We got frustrated quickly and decided, to let the pressure off, to go out to OAR reef about 9 miles out. The water was glassy on the way out with a very slight breeze. We got out there rather quickly and anchored in 27-29ft depths. Frozen squid off the bottom yielded about 8 mangrove snapper pretty quickly. We got bored and wanted to see something other than a snapper, so i tossed that 3D shrimp out a ways and let it drift. 5 mins later i heard and saw a ruckus of pinfish jumping and skipping across the water, close to my shrimp. All of a sudden, BAM, something hit my shrimp. I worked him in towards the boat and then he jumps out of the water 2 or three times. What a sight! Got it into the boat and we had a beauty of a spanish mackerel, about 23". My brother in law decided to do some free dive spear fishing and bagged two more snapper. He saw, what he believes was, a 25lb Gag, and was nose to nose. He wanted to shoot but couldn't remember if it was in season where we were. Others at the boat ramp later said we were good to go, but, we weren't sure. No luck trolling or on the grass flats. We did see several pods of porpoise that were very active feeding near the oyster bars - they were jumping out of the water they were so happy. Saw a turtle in deeper water that looked like a Volkswagen - A couple of manatees in the flats also.

One thing i was very happy about...NOT ONE TRASH FISH! no lady fish, remora or sail cats. Usually we complain about them, but it did not strike us that we never caught a single one until we got half way home.

Beauty of a day and a great trip.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks 10/26

Post by tallykenj »

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
The Back Porch
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Solid report. I think we saw y'all at the ramp. Nice day huh? Did you get any pics?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Good Spaniard.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
timmy0257

Post by timmy0257 »

I didn't get any of the snapper, but i have a nice one of a spanish. I just don't know how to post it. ill figure it out.
bman

Post by bman »

Nice one- it seems late in the season for them :thumbup:
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
timmy0257

Post by timmy0257 »

thanks to all.

I would consider that spanish more of a fluke catch. i wouldn't have gone out there specifically targeting spanish.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Nice , was out there Sunday too the weather was awesome and it was glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2true

Post by 2true »

You can catch Fluke around here>?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

2true wrote:You can catch Fluke around here>?
You sure can, we just don't call them flukes around here :)
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

If you don't want to catch one get a fluke shot :lol: