Where did the trout go?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

randymullaly

Where did the trout go?

Post by randymullaly »

I know patience is a virtue but enough is enough! I made another run from the Fort at St. Marks up the river this morning and never got a bite. Trolling, casting, hard bait, soft bait and even bottom fishing. Anybody out there have any ideas why the fishing in the river is so different from last year? Id love to hear your thoughts?
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: Where did the trout go?

Post by SHOWBOAT »

too much fresh water and not enough sustained cold. They had just started moving up the River when we got the deluge of rain. I'm not aware of any numbers of fish even making it pass the bridge, which they would do in a normal year. I caught some trout in creeks and creek mouths near the larger rivers yesterday. Saw some more on off-shore bars during the low tide.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

I was moaning about lack of fish to a buddy last week. He had come back from Suwannee FL & said they were jumping in the boat, especially Red Fish. Wasn't makin up a story 'cause we had some for dinner. Maybe the fish have gone East for the winter??!!
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I got spanked wading for trout/reds in Stoney Bayou yesterday. Bayou temp has dropped five degrees since two weeks ago, when the trout were going hog wild in the same area. My legs went numb in less than 30 minutes.

Just glad that 7ft bait cast nets double fairly well as backup mullet baggers. Lotta mullet near-buried in the soft mud bottom in the levee canals. Trout & reds: not so much.
carolinaskiff238dlv

Post by carolinaskiff238dlv »

I started the morning off at the mouth of Yates and worked my way to the mouth of Dallas Creek. Me and another boat. Six of us fished all day with nothing to show for it. Keaton has not produced nothing lately for me.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:smt011 I know, it really stinks right now, fellas. I have given up on them and will wait for March, if we don't get hammered with a lot of rain again. On the lighter side, crappie are biting fairly well now. Had 2 good trips on them, no big ones but fun anyway.
Yours in the South
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Weird that St. Marks is (has been) bad, cause they've been slaying then Suanee and Steinhatchee, who've has the same weather.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Harmsway wrote:Weird that St. Marks is (has been) bad, cause they've been slaying then Suanee and Steinhatchee, who've has the same weather.
Maybe a little differant rainfall ?
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

Bigphishie and I went out last Thursday and put in at the lighthouse. We went east to check out the creeks that way. When we got to the creek we wanted to fish, we started at the mouth and worked our way back. The wind was blowing and we had really good water flow from the tides. It took a couple stops until we found them, but when we did, it was almost every cast. they were hitting jigs with z-man plastics on the bottom with small but rapid jerks. All fish were 15.5-20" and we caught at least 30 of them. Going back out tomorrow to try to find them again...