New Southern Customs Rod

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishinfool
Site Sponsor

New Southern Customs Rod

Post by fishinfool »

My Mother asked me what I wanted for my birthday, which was 8/4, and I told her I would like a custom rod. She said, "order it". So I did. I picked it up last night from Dom who owns Southern Custom Rods, and was eager to try it out.
I was able to knock the skunk off it in short order today. Picked up a 16" red which was quickly subdued by the 7' 3" custom rod. It has a medium light action with a fast tip, split handle and tangle free guides. It is very light and extremely sensitive. It must also be said that Dom obviously takes great pride and care in his rod building.
I later hooked a slugger of a 23" red and finally after a few trout from 12" to 16", got hammered by a 24" sow of a trout.
Thanks again to Dom of Southern Custom Rods for a job well done. All fish caught today were released to fight again. All were easily handled by top notch tackle.
NCM_0124.JPG
NCM_0125.JPG
NCM_0129.JPG
NCM_0130.JPG
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: New Southern Customs Rod

Post by Salty Gator »

Congrats Jim :thumbup:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Sweet!
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Nice birthday present and a great way to christen it. You must have caught the only trout between St. Marks and Tampa. :lol:

Happy belated, my friend!
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Ted in Tallahassee

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

Nice Reds & trout right there!

What type of area did you get the Reds in? For example, creek mouth, oyster bar, shoreline, out on flats 3 feet deep? And what time of day and tide?

I have still NEVER caught a redfish and am trying to figure out his, when & where to achieve success.
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

Nice catch!

What size reel do you have on that rod? I've been thinking of trying the new Penn Clash in 2500 or 3000. I've never had a nice custom set up and I've been thinking in it for awhile.

Thanks for any information.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

awesome Mr. Jim! glad to see you putting it to good use. i again appreciate your business and hope you enjoy your rod for a very long time!
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Ted in Tally, the Red was caught back in a cove lined with saw grass. There were mullet everywhere. That is the key. Look for mullet mudding, jumping, and just pretty much being mullet. As long as you are not spooking them you should be good. Cast around the edges of active mullet. Even slightly away from them from time to time. I was using a 1/8oz jig head with a 3" electric chicken Cocahoe Minnow. Bouncing it on the bottom in about 2- 2 1/2 feet of water on an incoming tide.
I have caught fish in the same area on spoons and topwater plugs, but was wanting to try my new jig rod. Sometimes I will just mix up the bait and the presentation until I hit on something that works. Some days they are picky about the lure, color, speed, depth etc... Other days they will eat an old shoe if you throw it at them.
Back in the creeks and coves if you find the mullet, MOST of the time you will find the reds nearby. Getting them to eat is sometimes more of a challenge than I have patience for.

Can'tCatchAnything,
I am using a Quantum Smoke PTS 25 on that rod with 10 pound Suffix 832 braid and a 20 pound flouro leader. I like the weight of that reel and if I were not using it I would go to a Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 3000, again for the weight of the reel.
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

Good you got out Jim
You did better than I did ,been catching a few shorts the last 2 days
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
Ted in Tallahassee

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

Thanks for the details, fishnfool.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Sent you a PM Ted. Not sure if it went through or not, so I resent it and it is still just sitting there.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?