Redfish 10/13

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FishingPadre

Redfish 10/13

Post by FishingPadre »

Hey friends,

Fished a lot last week due to being off work. Best day was Thursday 10/13, pulled up to the spot and adjusted...third or fourth cast and BAM, big fight.....Nice 25in THICK...he actually told me played linebacker on the Redfish football team. He fought me like a champ and went into the cooler. Ended up with seven more nice slot reds over the next hour or so. Lucky enough to be joined with my yellow kayak buddy Luceror (sp?) and he picked up several as well. Beautiful day beautiful weather.

Also, on Tuesday 10/11, saw a boat pull up a huge Red, they guessed it was around 40in...and this was in some pretty shallow water,

Tight lines!
kenfly

Re: Redfish 10/13

Post by kenfly »

Man that's awesome, so much fun when you find them stacked up like that, where did you go out of? Tight lines !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FishingPadre

Post by FishingPadre »

I almost always go out of rock landing. Went out yesterday evening again with a couple of friends and they were still there. I think we totaled nine. Three were short.
ertauber

Post by ertauber »

Must have been this guys spot because I launched out of Panacea and headed to my favorite spot. Very shallow water low incoming tide cut pinfish is all they would hit AND holy Cow we were off to the races-in one hour 18, 18, 20, 23, 24, 26 and it was time to go home.
Love this time of year.
After spending 65 years in the cold north I finally found HOME!
UFBeef

Post by UFBeef »

Are you guys free lining the cur bait of putting it on the bottom?
ertauber

Post by ertauber »

Got fish on freeline circle hook and under a cork. Red fish do like a little movement but after the first pop anymore seems to scare them away.
stonewall

Post by stonewall »

I was fortunate to have the same experience this week as well at Econfina, pulled up to a spot by an oyster bar that I have never fished before and within a few seconds of my first cast, a 24" Red hit and the fight was on. We stayed in that same spot for over an hour and brought 8 slot reds in the boat. We did bring two of them back to Ga and they filleted up nicely for the grill. I did have a first happen to me on this trip, I had been fishing with a pin under a cajun thunder for sometime and put a fresh one on. Instead of putting it in the rod holder I set it up across my bench seat behind the console to throw a spoon at a red that I saw tailing and turned around just in time to see my rod being ripped out of the boat and headed under water with what seemed like a big aggressive fish attached to the other end. My heart sank (along with the rod and reel) because it was a brand new, first time fishing with, Falcon Rod and a older Shimano Stradic reel. I tried throwing another rod with a jig head to see if I could grab it but had no luck. I thought it was gone never to be seen by me again but 5 minutes later I spotted the CT floating a good ways from the boat, so I pulled anchor, put the trolling motor in the water and went and snagged it. Whatever was on the line had cut the leader but my rod and reel was still hooked up to the Power Pro line that was on it! I sprayed it with some WD-40 and fished the rest of the day with it. When I got home I broke it down, cleaned and sprayed reel oil on it and it still spinning and ready to get back down there!
We fished for trout in some new areas as well since they aren't in my normal spots and never seemed to get in them. We picked up a few keepers but mostly they were shorts.
But, even if I had lost the rod, it would have still been a great day enjoying God's wonderful creation!
Tight Lines! Brian