O'Bay Report 10/19

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Squirm88

O'Bay Report 10/19

Post by Squirm88 »

Late report from Ochlockonee Bay.

I had been itching to take my 2.5 year old son out fishing for his first saltwater fish. The weather was absolutely perfect last Wednesday (10/19). I made the call to leave work early and go out for a bit. Picked up my son from preschool, stopped at Crum's for some live shrimp and we were on the water by 3:00 PM. Given his short attention span, I wanted to make this a short but fun trip.

Plan was to fish a strong incoming tide by power poling on some spots. Figured if I power poled I could better help him and not be occupied with running the trolling motor. We pulled up to spot #1 and the power pole had trouble holding given how strong the tide was coming in. Decided to make a quick move to spot #2. Got him setup floating a live shrimp under a popping cork on his Mickey Mouse rod. He insisted on using this rod even though I had brought him a rod and reel better suited for the job.

While he was floating his shrimp, I somehow managed to get a couple casts in. On my third cast, I hooked up to a decent 19" trout on top water. Got the trout in the boat and now my son was super excited to catch his own. Shortly after landing my fish my son got a strong bite on his cork, and out of the corner of my eye I saw his Mickey rod flying through the air and into the drink. You can imagine the look on a 2 year old's face and the crying that ensued when he realized his favorite rod is gone. I suspect it may have been a red given the bite.

Some how he took it like a trooper and was able to regroup and try again. This time I took no chances held onto the rod with him. A couple minutes after getting him setup on rod and reel #2, he hooks up to a trout. I helped him by making sure he held the rod up and reeling with him a couple times when he was reeling too slow and thought he might lose the fish. We got it to the boat and was he very happy to say the least. Trout measured out at 20". Not bad for his first. Decided to leave them biting and end on a high note. We were back on the trailer by 5:00 PM with two fish in the cooler. I was very proud to say the least and hopefully he is "hooked".

Last edited by Squirm88 on October 25th, 2016, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: O'Bay Report 10/19

Post by DixieReb »

Sounds like a fun day, too bad about the rod and fish that got away. :roll: I bet he'll want to go back soon.
Yours in the South
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

That's great, that trout is longer than his leg. Nice work
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Awesome report! :thumbup: :-)

One suggestion for next few years when weather is warm enough... if bite is least bit slow, can almost always provide fun catching pins (when warm enough) on gulp tipped sabiki and Dad can then float pins behind boat for cobia, mogan trout, and sharks. :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

Print that out and post on the refrigerator door! His first trout is a "gator" for sure! Fishing buddy for life!
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Awesome trip and I know he was so excited. Great story and I know you and him will always remember that trip that he lost his rod. I know my boys always talk about those kind of stories #makingmemories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Man, that sounds like a great trip. Funny, but when I was 4 or 5, Dad took me out of Panacea to fish for spanish macs. Had my little youth fishing pole out with a round red and white bobber cork. Turned around to get a snack and zippity dodah, my rod and reel was gone. It broke my heart. About 20 minutes later, we saw the cork floating, went and got it. The fish was still hooked, but alas, my rod and reel was gone. So believe me when I tell you, it is those days out with Dad that your son will remember for a lifetime! :thumbup:
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

A few more years and the "old man" will be whining about his kid catching bigger and more fish than he does :-D

My oldest daughter still rags me about catching the biggest redfish on the boat.

Nice job Dad :thumbup:
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

You did it the right way. Keep them happy and interested and they will be hooked for life. I have many great memories with my son from back when he was little and the "squirrel fish" and was my pinfish man. He will fish all day now and wants his dad to catch pinfish for him...
Phil. 4:8

Post by Phil. 4:8 »

Thanks for sharing your story and for "taking a kid fishing." I started my boy sitting beside me in a jon boat slow trolling a Beetle Spin on Lake Jackson. He catching small bass and big brim, and I caught a fishing buddy.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Yeah there probably still is a buzz light year rod and reel at the bottom of the st marks river about a half a mile down from the Newport bridge :) lol my youngest boy now 8 lost it there when he was around 2-3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
luckywsp

Post by luckywsp »

Congratulations!! Your son appears to be doing better than many on this forum. Well played in ending it on a high note!