Find a spring, catch a mess of mullet

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Find a spring, catch a mess of mullet

Post by GaryDroze »

Fishing buddy had a birthday today, said he was depending on me to get him into fish for cookout any way possible. Out of desperation, found another spring boil on the East River, within the St Marks Refuge. Had to work for them, but we (meaning I) cast-netted about 30 keeper mullet. My buddy was way too smart to wade in 52 degree water with 30 degree air temp. He cheered me on.

He got enough fish for his birthday party, and I got free beer for the effort. Life is good. St Marks Refuge is relentlessly amazing.
kenfly

Re: Find a spring, catch a mess of mullet

Post by kenfly »

The things we do for free beer, they do taste the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

If anyone can help you out with a fish fry, its Gary. Way to fill the box for your buddy :thumbup:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Hope it was good beer and not a cute-rate brand after working under those conditions. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Labyrinth Black Ale in a bomber bottle. 13.9% Alcohol. Definitely hit the spot after frigid wading. Salud!

Life is too short to drink tasteless beer.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

GaryDroze wrote:Labyrinth Black Ale in a bomber bottle. 13.9% Alcohol. Definitely hit the spot after frigid wading. Salud!

Life is too short to drink tasteless beer.
If I drank beer with 14% alcohol all day, I’d need a new liver
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

At Publix last night and saw they were selling mullet for $9.99/lb. I texted my buddy that we were sitting on a gold mine lol. On a serious note, if someone wanted to set up a roadside stand and sell mullet, do you have to have the commercial license? I looked on FWC and didn’t get clear answer, but figure that’s the case.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Don't need a commercial license if you want to spend your profits on legal fees. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
trout fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by trout fisher »

I talked to a guy at Mandalay last year who wanted to buy my 50 mullet. I told him I'd give him a few he was needing some for a fish fry or just to take home for him and the Missus, (older gentleman). He said no, he was gonna sell them. He had his "peddler's license" and can set up shop in parking lots and such. Never heard of it. Any of y'all heard of such? He didn't get any of my mullet. :beer:
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

Everything on FWC I read seemed geared towards the wholesale aspect, and then the retailer purchasing from wholesalers. Nothing definitive on peddling.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

It may be legal for him to peddle them, but I doubt it’s legal for a recreational fisherman to sell them to him.
Russ@R&R

Post by Russ@R&R »

I would bet that Fl. Dept. of Agriculture would be over the retail food sales side of this.
Geno67

Post by Geno67 »

Good job. You're nuts of course but very well done. lol :lol:
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

Salty Gator wrote:It may be legal for him to peddle them, but I doubt it’s legal for a recreational fisherman to sell them to him.
He can peddle , but he has got to be peddling something legal to sell to be right. I see so many shrimp sellers and a few crab and fish sellers that likely are not legal. You can't even sell eggs without the right papers.
Last edited by relicshunter on January 24th, 2018, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dhawk

Post by Dhawk »

Seems a Man just could sell his fish if he wanted to ....without the "man" getting involved.

Im guessing Jesus wouldnt have been able to feed the multitudes today (Matthew 14). The "regulations" wouldnt have allowed it. :roll: