Big Bend Fishing

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jsisson

Big Bend Fishing

Post by Jsisson »

Looking like they going to a 3 fish limit.
Guides can't harvest state wide.
Been fishing big bend for 40 years.
Fishing has been great for last 10 years. Last year was
One of the best ever.
Of course no changes for commercial fishing.
May drive the extra 3 hrs to LA.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Re: Big Bend Fishing

Post by procraftwes »

salute3

More quality fish and how is a 3 man limit enough to make you drive 6 hours round trip?

Most anglers are glad it's happening but I agree about the commercial part being BS.
Browning Slayer
Site Sponsor

Post by Browning Slayer »

Yep. Total garbage. Commercial fishery's never get touched..So disappointing..
If there's not a life after fishing, I don't want to live it.....
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

All six of the current Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission members were appointed within the last two years by former Governor Rick Scott. Only one - Michael Sole - has any background or education that has a connection to fisheries conservation. Sole has a BS in Marine Biology.

The Chairperson of the Commission, Robert A Spottswood, is the longtime CEO of a real estate development/hospitality corporation. Among the other commissioners are Jack Nicklaus' son, an ordained minister who is president of community relations at The Villages, and the wife of the CFO of the Florida Republican party. In her FWC bio, Sonya Rood's major listed accomplishment is that for two years she has chaired a fundraising luncheon in Jacksonville.
Jsisson

Post by Jsisson »

Going to hurt a lot of great folks down there.
I see guides taking a real hard blow from this also.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

GaryDroze wrote:All six of the current Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission members were appointed within the last two years by former Governor Rick Scott. Only one - Michael Sole - has any background or education that has a connection to fisheries conservation. Sole has a BS in Marine Biology.

The Chairperson of the Commission, Robert A Spottswood, is the longtime CEO of a real estate development/hospitality corporation. Among the other commissioners are Jack Nicklaus' son, an ordained minister who is president of community relations at The Villages, and the wife of the CFO of the Florida Republican party. In her FWC bio, Sonya Rood's major listed accomplishment is that for two years she has chaired a fundraising luncheon in Jacksonville.
That is terrible
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I heard from a commercial fisherman on another forum that there was no ( Florida) commercial west coast trout fishery only east coast. Don’t know if that is true or not, but I did read where they only got 1-2 % and the recs got the rest. This isn’t the same as ars with regard to comms imho. I’d really like to see trout get gamefish status like sk mentioned. That would really help solve that problem
Jsisson

Post by Jsisson »

We know what a great job they did with the Red Snapper
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Jsisson wrote:We know what a great job they did with the Red Snapper
Plentiful as they have ever been???
Jsisson

Post by Jsisson »

Yea no one wanted to spend the money to go catch 2
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

May drive the extra 3 hrs to LA.
By LA, do you mean Lower Alabama? Cause if you mean Louisiana I want to know what you are driving! :lol:

As far as the Marine Fisheries Commission make up, I have known several over the years. None had the foggiest clue about Marine Biology. Two of them were nice folks and clients of mine, but they had no idea about what they were doing and neither of them were fisherman.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Marine Fisheries Commission is history. :wink: Now one unified Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission with constitutional authority.

Commissioners are appointed by the governor but must be confirmed by the Florida Senate with public comment allowed. Voters elect the governor and senators. Yes, it is a political process but many commissioners I've met are successful businessmen and women who are often avid outdoors enthusiasts. Is it a perfect system? No, but if the commissioners are fair, consider staff recommendations and manage based on science and the optimum benefit of the resources first, it usually works out OK.

Not doing anything to reduce the commercial harvest definitely sticks in my craw. It's also a dicey public relations posture when rec anglers are being asked to sacrifice. But again, based on science, stock assessments and sector effort, I can see how those recommendations were derived.

I will occasionally keep a couple trout to cook fresh on the grill. I release anything over 20 inches with rare tournament exceptions. Have a hard time justifying those anymore. But I support the proposed recommendations to ensure a quality fishery, even if it does mean sacrifices. The Gulf is not an endless seafood buffet and there's more pressure and environmental factors now than ever before.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I agree on the commercial status not changing. I really don't mind the 3 trout limit for me. I'd like 2 reds though.

Eat more Brim :-D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

silverking wrote:Marine Fisheries Commission is history. :wink:
Right, I just knew folks on the MFC, not the current setup. Both were bright and decent folks and I believe they did their best, but were far from experts in the field.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Dave, I get your comments, but I just wish folks could be selected to the commission with a bit more consideration for credentials. Those picks look totally political to me. I guess we can cross our fingers and hope for the best.