Navigational App

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Athens fish

Navigational App

Post by Athens fish »

Hello. Looking for some help if possible. Fishing Econfina in november, got an aluminum boat. I have fished many times before in others boats. My question, is there a good navigation app with a route out of river and for other areas around that I can follow to keep me out of trouble from rocks, oysters? Any help appreciated. Thanks
fishforfun

Re: Navigational App

Post by fishforfun »

Navionics has an app,as long as cell service is good. A hand held GPS such as Garmin will be more reliable
STMU

Post by STMU »

fishforfun wrote:Navionics has an app,as long as cell service is good. A hand held GPS such as Garmin will be more reliable
I do the same. I have the navionics app if I need it, but use my handheld Garmin GPS 76sc for most everything else. Although, neither will really show trouble spots you mention if you don't already have a track down to follow. Since you've fished it before, I'm sure you know most of the shoreline areas are trouble spots! Hence why the fishing is good. I don't think I went much above a fast idle for the first year I fished it until I felt better about where I was and confident in my tracks.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

fishforfun wrote:Navionics has an app,as long as cell service is good. A hand held GPS such as Garmin will be more reliable
Just want to clarify that you do not need cell service to use Navionics. You simply download the maps and they are on your phone.
Athens fish

Post by Athens fish »

Thank yall. I appreciate the info.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I prefer marine navigator on android because you can download the NOAA charts ahead of time and don't need cell service to use it. Its free unless you want to actually use it to follow a track and then I think its $9.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:I prefer marine navigator on android because you can download the NOAA charts ahead of time and don't need cell service to use it. Its free unless you want to actually use it to follow a track and then I think its $9.
While not free Navionics works the same way. You don't need cell service to use it. I think its $20 and much better than marine navigator.