East of the Light House

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Phil. 4:8

East of the Light House

Post by Phil. 4:8 »

Some days seem 'meant to be'. Decided to celebrate like an old vet and went fishing. Talked my bride into joining me and our nephew for a little salt water fun. Was expecting to find the lighthouse boat ramp full, but not the case. Some trucks in the lot, but we didn't have any wait to launch and get under way. Our thought was to follow the tide to the back of coves and creeks and look for reds and whatever may be home. Started out about 11:00 am and went east. Picked up a couple of short trout and finally caught a short red fish. Hooked a nice (maybe over sized) red that wrapped me around the Yamaha and got away. Tried a little drift, but barely enough breeze to move us. So, headed further east and found trout in a creek. Caught many shorts, kept 8 slot sized. They ranged from 15+" to one about 21". The water was vodka clear and we could see the bottom at 6'. Very little breeze, water temp averaging 68, and the sun was out most of the time but comfortable. We fished the incoming and first of the out going tide. Caught trout under a cork, bouncing a jig and most of the hits came on top with a red and white Spook type lure. It was great to see my little wife with "fish on" time after time. God was good that day to many, but especially good to us.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: East of the Light House

Post by silverking »

Nice. Debated about going east but wanted to try somewhere different so I launched at Panacea.

Except for a couple needlefish swipes, I couldn't buy a bite on top water. Very slow overall. Water temps in the lower to mid 60s by afternoon and water was silty with some floating grass still around.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
geofish

Post by geofish »

I went out Sunday , and had no luck with trout or redfish around the oyster bars at low tide, and again on Monday none at the mouth of the river or on the flats by the lighthouse Couldn't find pinfish either. When the wind died down, I tried offshore and found multiple boats trolling for gags repeatedly over the same ground on the public numbers, and I had no live bait. The cutbait I had got few bites. I have no personal grouper GPS numbers of my own, so . . .
Beside a few ladyfish and one keeper flounder, it was skunk city for me. :(
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Very nice! Creeks can be great this time of year, esp. deeper ones. Glad you had a good day with the wife. :wink:
Yours in the South