Trout Dinners - Nov 10/11th 2019 St. Marks

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishTheBend

Trout Dinners - Nov 10/11th 2019 St. Marks

Post by fishTheBend »

Back from the hiatus of dealing with that R word, responsibilities, and got time to fish
this weekend. Beautiful conditions each day with the water eventually turning to glass.

Fished east of the lighthouse up along the banks and through the creeks both days
with a few drifts in open water. Water was clear, to a bit tannin in some parts of the marsh creeks
we we're in, but nothing stained. Was not productive outside of being in tight, skinny water, though we saw plenty
of boats fishing further from the shore on grass flats.

The trout we found were not stacked up, but the size quality made up for it both days. Landed 3 FAT 20-22 inchers,
with plenty in the 17-19 range with a bit more meat on them. Very few shorts. They we're hitting on mullet pattern top-waters
and electric chicken jigs (used since the water was so clear). Could have limited out 2nd day, but only kept 2 each trip while throwing back the big females.

Monday we caught 3 reds, 2 12"s and one monster 27+ that was clearly having a health diet. Missed a few, but
caught them again on mullet pattern top-water and the big red on electric chicken pattern. Had to work the banks and
the lil guts & cuts in the marshes to find them. Only clear correlation between all the reds we saw were the presence of mullet.

Hopefully we get some more days in like this weekend. This cold front has to go.

Happy Fishing!
geofish

Re: Trout Dinners - Nov 10/11th 2019 St. Marks

Post by geofish »

Good report, thanks!
I was one of those farther out on the flats not catching trout, so you've given me hope and a strategy for next time.
fishTheBend

Re: Trout Dinners - Nov 10/11th 2019 St. Marks

Post by fishTheBend »

Tons of unique water to explore. If the boat is built and equipped for it skinny water is a load of fun to fish and explore.

Keep changing things up when things get slow. You'll learn a lot. Catch 'em!
geofish wrote:Good report, thanks!
I was one of those farther out on the flats not catching trout, so you've given me hope and a strategy for next time.