The Fish Are All on Vacation

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Srbenda

The Fish Are All on Vacation

Post by Srbenda »

Despite what you may have read here in recent days, there are not any actual fish in the St Marks River. I've determined this, after a careful scientific study today that involved catching almost no fish.
We started just before 1230, close to low tide, but despite the planned the low tide, the un-forecasted wind pushed water up into the river, resulting in little variance in levels. Water temps were around 65 at the fort, and barely dropped all the way to Jones Bar.

Despite seeing fish on the machine, and dropping baits to them, fishing multiple bars and spots in the river, there were no keepers.

We worked shrimp on the bottom, under corks, jerk baits, and nothing worked. We did catch this barely legal flounder, but sent him back to grow up a little bit. Besides that, only hardhead cats were biting, and very few of them.

I talked with 4 or 5 people during the day, and everyone faced the same results. In fact, no one I spoke with even got a single keeper off the river. With the cold front hitting on Thursday, I thought having Friday as a buffer day would help, but the bite was completely shut down.

I certainly hope these guys fared better, as they were all standing chest deep in water fishing, and it looked incredibly cold.
Maybe next weekend will be better!

All photos copyright @saverymill
FishWithChris

Re: The Fish Are All on Vacation

Post by FishWithChris »

We launched at the fort around 1045 to a stiff breeze, throttled down and head south to the mouth. We passed a dozen boats in the river and saw no action. Headed to a crick and started tossing in deeper pockets. Artificial (jigs) and shrimp tore it up; largest trout went 22". Plenty of reds and trout, jombo sheepshead, and even had a surprise Jack (little guy).

We went back up wakulla and at Mark's rivers towards sunset and had minimal action. Creeks are where it's at right now.

Jeff got his PowerPole he won at Eggnog tourney and we put that thing to the test. Absolute game changer.

Sent from the KetchupPacket
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

I stand corrected.
If only I had a creek boat....

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
All photos copyright @saverymill
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

What have I been telling you? You have to stay off the water long enough to actually go look at a few to buy one. :wink:

A few other "clients" are holding off right now, citing work, money and a few other crazy excuses to not buy the boat of their dreams. I'm going to retire from the boat locater biz. :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

So much water today with that ESE wind that you could have had your tower creepin through the marsh grass. Although the bigger trout came from pretty far back.

Few more months and you won't have to worry about those cricks...

Sent from the KetchupPacket
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

caught them on the flats until I had to make an early exit due to father in law getting a hook buried in his hand.we had 6 keeper trout and caught quite a few shorts with one over slot red at 28 inches we put back.we definitely had a fast drift with that steady wind sat and not much water to start.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Caught a few at St. Marks today, had to work for them as they are not gathered up very good after this last freeze. Got 3 keeper trout and 7 nice croakers. Most fish below the fort.
Yours in the South