Yates Creek Wednesday Feb 19th

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Yates Creek Wednesday Feb 19th

Post by CSMarine »

Just a short report. Wife and I decided to exercise the Stumpnocker a bit. Got to the creek a little after noon. Just planning to make a short run up the shore. Water temp 61 degrees. Little windy but nice and warm. Caught a small Red in second cast. Caught a total of eleven short Reds and one twenty-three inch. Caught lots of short Trout with just six keepers. Bait as always for me was "shiner tails." Ended the day by pulling a couple crab traps I have out and bringing home enough to do a boil just big enough to feed an old Jarhead and his bride of 46 years.
All in all, another great day to be retired on the Gulf.
Semper Fi
leonreno

Re: Yates Creek Wednesday Feb 19th

Post by leonreno »

Nice report. Good to hear people getting out and finding them. I assume shiner tails mean pinfish tails, which makes me ask as someone who doesn’t do a lot of winter fishing, how easy is it to find and catch pinfish this time of year?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Thanks for the report. Glad y’all got out and found dinner
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Dhawk

Post by Dhawk »

great report...thanks for sharing. always enjoy reading these...
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Yes pinfish tails. One fish, two baits. They are pretty hard to catch on the flats this time of year. I have a few deeper holes in the creek they lay up in when the flats gets too cold for them. Had trouble getting them with a hook. Caught most with my cast net. Caught a few finger mullet, but couldn't get the Reds to eat them live. They wanted cut bait under a popping cork. It
Semper Fi
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Thanks for the reply, I figured some were up in the creeks, have read that many pinfish go offshore To breed this time of year too. Cast net is a good idea. Cut bait makes a lot of sense this time of year as the fish are already moving slow and aren’t as likely to chase live bait or fast lures.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I fish a cork slowly mostly on the flats or creek mouths. I use a Texas rigged bait worked like a plastic worm inside the holes in the creeks trying to pull the bait down stream of the tide.
Semper Fi