St Mark's 8/5-6

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

doomtrpr_z71

St Mark's 8/5-6

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I went down to St Mark's the last two days with my college fishing buddy, we haven't fished much the past couple of years because he refused to go inshore fishing and my working in MO. But after a late start and lunch at Riverside, we launched at the lighthouse, we tried 4ft with no success, 7ft to 11ft with no success, and found a few trout in 6ft.

Then we had real fun

His brother has been trying to catch a shark off the pier at Tybee for a couple of weeks and was quite jealous, we ended the day with a three keepers along with a mix of trash fish and a rough ride in since the forecast was a bit off.

Riverside was good for supper but the cat didn't care for grouper

We stayed at shell island and I do believe hour per hour there's no finer sleep than what you get at a fish camp

We started the next morning with high hopes and flat seas, however just after our trip started the breeze died and so did the bite and we had a single keeper from 6ft with some trash fish and a very eager lizardfish

We ended the day at lunch with rain moving in and several warnings from the fwc, all in all a fun trip with quite a fight from the shark on what my buddy swore was an ultralight but was a 4000 series reel and a medium rod. It was also a good reminder of why I scallop in August and don't fish usually.
TheReelPapaSquat

Re: St Mark's 8/5-6

Post by TheReelPapaSquat »

Very nice report. I am planning a St. Marks trip in the near future. I'll probably wait until it,cools some, but dinner at Riverside sweetens the deal.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Looks like you had fun. Nice to go straight from the boat, but sometime Ark and head to cooter stew. Their leatherback (AKA bacon cheeseburger) is the bee’s knees.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I've never eaten at cooter stew, I was going to eat there for lunch but they didn't look open, in fact last time I was down they didn't look open.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:I've never eaten at cooter stew, I was going to eat there for lunch but they didn't look open, in fact last time I was down they didn't look open.
They're closed wednesday but open otherwise.

He's not lying about that burger either. VERY good and living in Tallahassee there's tons of good burger joints. IMO Cooter stew beats them all.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

That's why I thought they were closed, the last couple of times I ate in st marks was on a Wednesday
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Riverside has some good wings and i'll leave it at that..

Ouzts is the place to be on a Wednesday.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Thanks for sharing..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Ouzts is another place I need to try, may have to sneak back down after I put new plugs in the boat.
slow motion

Post by slow motion »

Ouzts is the place to be on a Wednesday.[/quote]
Wife and I used to go on Sunday afternoons, listen to the band and have a few oysters and cold beer. Is there something special there on Wednesday that we have been missing out on?