Sharks

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

TOWM

Sharks

Post by TOWM »

My boys and I have been fishing the East flats and west flats Saturday and Sunday. First, we hit the sandbars and load up with pinfish and grunts. Then, we anchor near channels and troughs and set out some free lined bait and cut bait on the bottom. Saturday we landed two four foot blacktops, three white tips, and a sand shark. Sunday we only landed one small sand shark and got bit off by another.
The most exciting bite was a fish that hit a bottom bait Saturday that peeled off 200 yards of line before the leader failed.
Sharks are all we have been catching since August. They are fun to catch. Does anyone keep and eat shark?

A boat pulled up next to us and inquired what we were fishing for. We told them and they showed us a nice slot red, slot trout, and mess of Spanish mackerel they caught. I should have asked what depth and general location, but didn’t.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Re: Sharks

Post by GaryDroze »

You probably already know the FWC limits on sharks (daily limit of 1 per person and two per vessel; size limits on some). I sometimes keep a small blacktip for steaks. 30" is perfect size. Ice right away, and soak fillets for 4 hours in milk to neutralize. They grill nicely.

Glad the limits are tight. Sharks are fascinating!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Thanks for the report, I didn’t realize oceanic white tips came that close to shore. They are supposed to be good for shark fin soup
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Talked with a buddy who works with the FSU marine lab this weekend, they caught a six gill shark this past week. Never thought they would be around here in our shallow waters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk