blue crab fishing

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

JohnPaul

blue crab fishing

Post by JohnPaul »

Can anyone tell me a good place I can take my grandson to catch blue crabs from shore close to Tallahassee, St marks area . I have never done it myself and I understand It is legal all year except for the closed season. Any info will be appreciated. Thank You
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: blue crab fishing

Post by silverking »

St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge. Plenty of spots near the Lighthouse. Watch for any sunning gators. Folding crab trap or chicken neck on nylon twine and a dip net and you should be set to go. Plenty of nature to expose the grandson to and some nice trails/exhibits.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

silverking wrote:St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge. Plenty of spots near the Lighthouse. Watch for any sunning gators. Folding crab trap or chicken neck on nylon twine and a dip net and you should be set to go. Plenty of nature to expose the grandson to and some nice trails/exhibits.
Last time I checked St Marks outlawed crabbing in the pools so make sure you are in the salt.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Righto on the pools, but that still leaves plenty of opportunity in the canals on either side of Lighthouse Road, especially on the left, as you approach the lighthouse, within the last half mile. Lotta crabs there, mostly accessible at lower tides
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Don't crab myself, but Mr. Refuge--Gary Droze--set the record straight. Thanks Gary.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat