cell phone coverage on the water

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

geofish

cell phone coverage on the water

Post by geofish »

I think it hit me last week while I was trying to download radar app images to see when the t-storms were gonna get me. T-mobile cellphone coverage on the waters off of St Marks is pretty awful! Which cellphone company does best out on the flats & bay? I was thinking Verizon, but now I see that maybe only AT& T is going to have that new Galaxy 8 "Active" waterproof version. Which carrier do y'all use out there?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: cell phone coverage on the water

Post by Salty Gator »

I get decent coverage with at&t in the refuge and st mark flats. My buddy w Verizon looses coverage when we go through the gate. Other than that they are the same. I can get coverage further offshore also.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
geofish

Post by geofish »

cool, thanks! Very helpful
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

My verizon phone (Iphone 6+) will pick up just about anywhere out of St Marks. I was 15 miles out the other day and it rang. It scared the crap out of me. :D
geofish

Post by geofish »

Fish calling on line 2 . . .
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

My coverage with Verizon sucks inside the refuge, only 1x no data, but after getting on the water past the lighthouse I have great service, 4g and all.
bbb

Post by bbb »

I've used my Verizon phone all around the flats, East and West with no problems. I may lose coverage like others are saying going through the refuge but pick it up again when near/on the water.

I was sending text messages, receiving calls and listening to Pandora 9 miles off Mexico Beach.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I have four land surveying crews that I provide phones to. They are often working in remote locations and we've found Verizon to be the most reliable. Unfortunately, they are also the most expensive.
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

I have verizon and iphone 6 plus and my coverage is very good from shell point all the way over to the mouth of the Aucilla. Terrible coverage at Shell Island Fish Camp though.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I have AT&T and the new Samsung Galaxy S8 Active that you're mentioning... I just got the phone so I haven't been ale to test it out on the water, but had the S7 Edge before that. The S8 Active is currently restricted to AT&T, but may become more widely available in the coming month or two if you can wait that long.

Get a phone that's water resistant and/or IP67 or IP68 rated. Both Verizon and AT&T do well, but I think Verizon may have the edge a bit over coverage areas in our big bend.

I suggest reaching out to George Goodson (bigphishy) or Jimmy Milton (milto something...) - they work for Verizon and can talk to you a bit further on the coverage and currently available phones.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

The 3 people I usually fish with have verizon and I have at&t. There are times I have service and they have none. There has never been a time when they had service and I didn't. Especially offshore and the refuge/east flats.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

I have verizon and fish from Keaton to Panacea and have service probably 90% of the time, but the few signal issues I do have are usually around St marks. I rarely make it past the 3 mile line either.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I have Verizon. Milto sold me my phone! I have the water resistant iPhone 7. Like said before, in the St Marks refuge and on Mandalay Road, not so good. I can text, just not use internet and phone is spotty. Everywhere else on the flats is fine, from Appalachicola Bay to Aucilla.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
geofish

Post by geofish »

Very helpful!!! Thanks to all
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I got this text from at&t a few days ago. My wife didn't get anything like this from Verizon. Pretty strong in addition to much better coverage on the water

AT&T Free Msg: Hurricane Irma Efforts - As Hurricane Irma continues to make its way toward Florida we'd like to help out during this difficult time. You won't be charged for any talk, text, and data overages from 9/8-9/17. Go to att.com/hurricaneirma for more info.