Aucilla 8/25

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

kom06

Aucilla 8/25

Post by kom06 »

Fished the outgoing tide at Aucilla this morning. After catching a sail cat on top water in the mouth of the river we decided to move to the flats and started a drift at a random spot in about 4ft. Turned out to be the only drift we needed. My fishing buddy landed a 31 inch red and 28.5 in trout (both released). And we ended up taking home 9 nice trout for the families to enjoy. ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jsaunders

Re: Aucilla 8/25

Post by jsaunders »

Nice catch! I would've thought they'd be in deeper water as hot as it's been.
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

nice catch the fishing is good first thing in the Morning after the sun get's up the fishing turns off
till late in the afternoon we were catching fish in 3' to 5' of water
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Great day with some nice fish. What were they biting and how was the water clarity?
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
kom06

Post by kom06 »

jsaunders wrote:Nice catch! I would've thought they'd be in deeper water as hot as it's been.
We tried some deep drifts around 10 and caught plenty of shorts for a while til it got too hot and turned off completely.

silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Guess that info is secret? Looks like a DOA standard shrimp on the red.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

That's a great catch! Aucilla is a good fishing place. Last time I was there, I didn't do nearly that good but it was too windy.
Yours in the South
kom06

Post by kom06 »

silverking wrote:Great day with some nice fish. What were they biting and how was the water clarity?
Thank you. Fish bit mainly before the sun got high enough for us to see through the water. Water was surprisingly clear once the sun came up even after all that rain the night before. Could see bottom out to about 8ft. Fish bit DOA in root beer. First time I've ever used them. I was surprised they didn't have issues with the grass. Fish wouldn't touch a Gulp.

silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Thanks for the follow-up. Good to hear viz was decent. Those shrimp are Deadly On Anything fished plain or under a clacker cork. I'm mainly using the near clear pattern these days, but the root beer is a good contrast. Gold glitter/glow is another good one. The holographic glitter works well in gin-clear water and the pink/glitter is effective in the spring. Pink is also a dead ringer for lobster if you're in permit waters.

Again, congrats on an outstanding trip and thanks for posting. :thumbup:
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Wow, great catch, glad to see them biting again, went a couple of weeks ago and to work hard to get a few

kom06

Post by kom06 »

kenfly wrote:Wow, great catch, glad to see them biting again, went a couple of weeks ago and to work hard to get a few

Thank you!

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Man that's a stud red, but a trout of a lifetime. Absolutely a trophy gator trout. Congrats. That is an old fish. I wish I could see the whole pic. Way to put your buddy on fish :thumbup:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
kom06

Post by kom06 »

Salty Gator wrote:Man that's a stud red, but a trout of a lifetime. Absolutely a trophy gator trout. Congrats. That is an old fish. I wish I could see the whole pic. Way to put your buddy on fish :thumbup:
Thank You!