Shired Island Castnet

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

AugustusMccrae

Shired Island Castnet

Post by AugustusMccrae »

Took the daughter yesterday evening to Sherid for her first castnet experience. Was just getting into them when we had to go. Had a blast. Got 17.
fishin_Rob

Re: Shired Island Castnet

Post by fishin_Rob »

I take it you were cast netting mullet ? Were you netting from the bridge or a boat ?

Mullet is tasty fried or smoked !
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

fishin_Rob wrote:I take it you were cast netting mullet ? Were you netting from the bridge or a boat ?

Mullet is tasty fried or smoked !
Yes on the mullet. Walked out on the bridge, but couldn't see the fish. Waded just north of the dock at the campground. Out from the grass. If I could have stayed another 20 minutes, might could have doubled the number. But I still had more than we could eat.
lmmoore

Post by lmmoore »

Never heard of shired island but cast netting mullet is one on my favorites. What kind of net are you using?
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

lmmoore wrote:Never heard of shired island but cast netting mullet is one on my favorites. What kind of net are you using?
10' Spanish net (the kind with pocket at bottom). Shired is in Dixie County off the road that goes to Horseshoe Beach.
lmmoore

Post by lmmoore »

I have a 10 and a 8.5 hand made pocket nets with chain weight. 10 works well when throwing off a bridge or peir, 8.5 is a lot more user friendly.
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

lmmoore wrote:I have a 10 and a 8.5 hand made pocket nets with chain weight. 10 works well when throwing off a bridge or peir, 8.5 is a lot more user friendly.
I could see where that would be the case. Wading SGI bay this summer got a little too deep. What age would you try to start a kid and what size net?
lmmoore

Post by lmmoore »

i would just start him with a 5ft bait new in the yard.
weedline

Post by weedline »

6 or 7 is when i started with a 4 ft net funny i had braces so couldnt use the mouth method and my mom came up with some wiered method that i still use to this day i wish i could learn a new method because mine requires alot of effort to throw a 12 ft net but after almost 40 years it still works i can throw an 8 ft all day or a 10 for an hour or so but its lots of fun as a kid i caught everything in that little net even big mullet
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Calusa Cast Nets has some good instructional videos on their website that will help you throw any size net. No mouth - gripping needed.
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

Tried Shired again last Saturday. Still learning when to go using tide charts. It was an hour or two before high tide and I just didn't see a lot of fish activity. Got four. Scaled, filleted, and gave to very happy neighbor.