Apalachicola bay 10/12-14

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Rbmcrae

Apalachicola bay 10/12-14

Post by Rbmcrae »

Made a fall break trip down to apalach for some relaxation and fishing. Unfortunately the wind had a different idea. Without doubt it was the worst conditions I’ve ever crossed the bay in! Ole Poseidon beat us up pretty good both going and coming due to the crossing wind and waves. Had to tuck up in some creek mouths behind the plantation to get away from the wind and luckily the fish had the same idea. In the two weather shortened trips out, we caught 10 slot reds and 4-5 real nice 18+ inch trout amongst other smaller fish. All were catch and release but would have had a real nice bag had we been keeping them. Gulps in dark colors with chartreuse tail were best for trout and white and chartreuse gulps & gold spoons worked best for the redfish. Looking forward to a trip where we are not fighting the weather!!!!ImageImageImage
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Apalachicola bay 10/12-14

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Good trip. That bay can be really brutal when the wind gets up, It's caught me a few times like that.
Yours in the South
fishforfun

Post by fishforfun »

Fished with a friend and his two boys Saturday am 9-12, tried the protected, leeward areas of the west flats from Shell Point. Very strong ENE wind, murky water with 12in visibility, temp 82 degrees. Caught a couple of small bonnethead sharks, ladyfish and a few short trout. Used live shrimp and DOA . Later went out again 4-6:30 pm, very nice and calm, but the water was not much better. We managed three keeper trout and a few shorts. Biggest trout 18in on DOA.
turtlecat
Site Sponsor

Post by turtlecat »

That's awesome Rob! If I can ever get the Dr. to release me, maybe we can talk ole Pops into an offshore trip! Fyi, I've had my arse handed to me a few times on that bay. Wife was not happy! Lol
TurtleCat
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

Well done. I fished this weekend with a buddy and the wind wore us out. Saw birds working and banged out there to them and only caught sailcats. Saw 2 tarpon, but no hookups. Water clarity was poor.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

We were also down this weekend on a non fishing trip ( had a project to complete) and I was glad I hadn't planned on fishing cause it was kicking and that east wind in SGI area makes for rough boating! Glad y'all found a good place to hide and catch fish.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!