St Marks Friday and Saturday

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

guthooked
Site Sponsor

St Marks Friday and Saturday

Post by guthooked »

Fished friday and Saturday out of St Marks. Both days east of the lighthouse. Friday was hot and I struggled to find a couple of decent trout. Saturday was rough, especially in the morning, but toughed it out and caught my five with three between 18 and 19 inches. All caught between 7 and 9 feet with a gulp shad jigged off the bottom at a pretty quick pace. Later Saturday stumbled on a spot and picked up 5 pretty nice sand trout on the same gulp shad. Added a couple of blue's, which are always a lot of fun. Didn't keep the blue fish. Wife won't eat them.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks Friday and Saturday

Post by DixieReb »

Nice trip. Does the gulp shad have a paddle tail? Blues are good on the grill but the meat takes a lot of preparation and most folks don't want to fool with them. :roll:
Yours in the South
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

DixieReb wrote:Nice trip. Does the gulp shad have a paddle tail? Blues are good on the grill but the meat takes a lot of preparation and most folks don't want to fool with them. :roll:
No, the gulp shad has a tiny little split tail. I think the blue fish taste fine but the wife can't get past the look of the meat.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY GUTHOOKED, IF YOU WILL BLEED THOSE BLUES GOOD AS SOON AS YOU CATCH THEM, THEY WILL NOT HAVE THE DARK COLOR WHEN YA FILLET THEM, I PUT A LIGHT COATING OF FLOWER, SALT, PEPPER ALONG WITH A SOLID SIDE OF FILLET OF MEAT, 3 MIN. ON EACH SIDE IN PAN OF GREASE. I CUT OUT THE RIB CAGE AND SKIN THE SKIN OUT AS SOON AS I GET HOME FROM THE GULF , I DO ALL OF MY SALT WATER FISH THIS WAY.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:HEY GUTHOOKED, IF YOU WILL BLEED THOSE BLUES GOOD AS SOON AS YOU CATCH THEM, THEY WILL NOT HAVE THE DARK COLOR WHEN YA FILLET THEM, I PUT A LIGHT COATING OF FLOWER, SALT, PEPPER ALONG WITH A SOLID SIDE OF FILLET OF MEAT, 3 MIN. ON EACH SIDE IN PAN OF GREASE. I CUT OUT THE RIB CAGE AND SKIN THE SKIN OUT AS SOON AS I GET HOME FROM THE GULF , I DO ALL OF MY SALT WATER FISH THIS WAY.
PA
SEMPER FI
Thanks Pa. I'll try bleeding the next one I catch.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Right, Pa. And I always trim that strip of red meat from each side on blues after filleting them.
Yours in the South