Dog Island - Oct 21 & 22

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dslayer2

Dog Island - Oct 21 & 22

Post by dslayer2 »

My daughter and I was able to get out on the water this weekend, but the east wind didn't make it very easy to enjoy ourselves. Launch from Carrabelle and had to take a beating to get across the bay and run the edge of Dog Island. Still had to deal with a lot of wind, but were able to get in a few areas and find fish. Trolling motor wasn't very helpful, except for guiding side to side as the wind pushed us. Ended up drifting until we would catch a fish, then throw out the anchor and fan cast to catch a few more before moving on and doing it again. The fish seemed to be coming through in schools following the bait. Caught fish from 2ft out to 6ft, still well out on the flats. Maybe the coming cool snap will start moving them back in the creeks and rivers. Caught seatrout, ladyfish, black sea bass, shark, and one very pretty juvenile gag grouper. Only had a handful of keepers to put in the cooler, but the time on the water with my daughter was well worth the trip.
You can do anything you put your mind to.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Dog Island - Oct 21 & 22

Post by Salty Gator »

Nice work, thanks for the report
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Way to slug it out. :thumbup:

I was going to launch at Shell Point until I saw the white caps coming across the bay at low tide. Went back to Shields and went up the Wakulla River, almost to the 98 bridge. Made a couple casts but the wind blowing in my face and incoming tide made it futile. Still a good indoc trip with my pup, who is really enjoying the skiff. Hopefully the wind will finally lay down after this front rumbles through. The cooler weather should really fire the fish off!
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
dslayer2

Post by dslayer2 »

That's the same thing I'm hoping for. I've never tried saltwater fishing in late fall or winter, but I've heard it can be really fun. Looking forward to giving it a try in a month or 2.
You can do anything you put your mind to.
Russ@R&R

Post by Russ@R&R »

Any time I fish Dog Island, I put in at Lanark Market.
AugustusMccrae

Post by AugustusMccrae »

What’s the general consensus of sand trout as table fare?
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Fry them, some coleslaw and cheese grits, a few hushpuppies......
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

As good as any fresh. Frozen, not as good.
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

what pirate said