Shallow Water Grouper?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

John21:6

Shallow Water Grouper?

Post by John21:6 »

With the forecast calling for light winds and calm seas over the weekend, I want to head offshore in my bay boat to 25-30 feet of water to try to catch a grouper. Has anyone heard reports of keeper-size grouper being caught in 25-30' of water yet?
roadtrip
Site Sponsor

Re: Shallow Water Grouper?

Post by roadtrip »

yes
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Wind looks great, but the full moon may slow the offshore bite
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven

Thanks for the detailed response, roadtrip.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

John21:6 wrote:Thanks for the detailed response, roadtrip.
As long as we are being smarty pants,,, this isn't a fishing report :wink:
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

LOL, he did answer the question :smt004

Sorry for creating an impression that my inquiry about shallow water grouper is not a fishing report. My inquiry is the preface or introduction to a fishing report, which will be completed after my trip. With any luck, and useful tips from the board (including roadtrip who seems to be holding back), I will have good fish stories to report. But I might have a report on what not to do as well. I am new to boating and I have never trolled for grouper before. My main plan is to troll using Mann's stretch 25s that I bought for $5 each off the Walmart clearance rack.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

John21:6 wrote:Sorry for creating an impression that my inquiry about shallow water grouper is not a fishing report. My inquiry is the preface or introduction to a fishing report, which will be completed after my trip. With any luck, and useful tips from the board (including roadtrip who seems to be holding back), I will have good fish stories to report. But I might have a report on what not to do as well. I am new to boating and I have never trolled for grouper before. My main plan is to troll using Mann's stretch 25s that I bought for $5 each off the Walmart clearance rack.
Good luck, there will be a strong tide this weekend. Troll in the direction the tide is moving
MeatEater

Post by MeatEater »

John21:6 wrote:Sorry for creating an impression that my inquiry about shallow water grouper is not a fishing report. My inquiry is the preface or introduction to a fishing report, which will be completed after my trip. With any luck, and useful tips from the board (including roadtrip who seems to be holding back), I will have good fish stories to report. But I might have a report on what not to do as well. I am new to boating and I have never trolled for grouper before. My main plan is to troll using Mann's stretch 25s that I bought for $5 each off the Walmart clearance rack.
I'll be your friend if you promise to post a heads up when you see Stretch's on clearance [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Headed out tomorrow so I'll be sure to follow up with a report.

Re: Shallow Water Grouper? Report

Today, my buddy and I made our first attempt at trolling for grouper. We didn't find any. But well to the south southwest of St. Marks, we caught a bonito on a firetiger-colored trolling lure in about 25-30 feet of water. We also found many schools of Spanish mackerel. When will I learn that 40 lb. fluorocarbon leader is no match for a mackerel? This is getting expensive. One of those mackerel is probably still swimming around with a Gotcha lure stuck in his mouth and another has an expensive suspending lure as its trophy catch.
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

Just the cost of doing business!
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

If you're losing macks on 40-pound leader, your reaction times are too slow. Kings are a totally different animal but Spaniards aren't usually that powerful unless you're not tending the rod/line. When you get in them, hang on to the rod, keep casting and you'll land more fish and lose less terminal tackle. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

silverking wrote:If you're losing macks on 40-pound leader, your reaction times are too slow. Kings are a totally different animal but Spaniards aren't usually that powerful unless you're not tending the rod/line. When you get in them, hang on to the rod, keep casting and you'll land more fish and lose less terminal tackle. :thumbup:
SK speaks the truth. I wore out the ax handle Spanish yesterday on an X rap. 25 lb fluro leader, no cut offs.

silverking wrote:If you're losing macks on 40-pound leader, your reaction times are too slow. Kings are a totally different animal but Spaniards aren't usually that powerful unless you're not tending the rod/line. When you get in them, hang on to the rod, keep casting and you'll land more fish and lose less terminal tackle. :thumbup:
Thanks for the tip, silverking. I'll keep my line tight the next time I target Spanish mackerel.

I was creating a lot of slack in my line, but getting a lot of hits, by retrieving my lures in a jerking/fluttering motion. The slack line was probably the cause of deeply hooking a number of fish, which could not be unhooked without killing them. I hate to waste a fish, even a Spanish mackerel.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Another option if the Spanish are thick is use a trace of light wire leader, say 30-pound single strand Sevenstrand in bronze finish. Add a small barrel swivel on one end with a Haywire twist and then add a small diamond jig or casting spoon like a Kastmaster or Deadly Dick to the other, also with a Haywire. The wire leader doesn't need to be long, 12 inches will do. Cast to the edges of the schooling fish (or bait balls) and retrieve rapidly. Perfect imitation of the glass minnows they love to feed on. A light fly outfit with a Clouser minnow is yet another way to enjoy these scrappy speedsters. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat