Steinhatchee 11/4/17

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

zload
Site Sponsor

Steinhatchee 11/4/17

Post by zload »

What an absolute awesome day!

Hit the water about 10:30 after the negative low tide and headed south. Water temp was 67 degrees and a bit dingy looking, not a lot of floating grass initially.

Stopped in about 7’ to get setup and first cast my wife lands a fat 18” trout, for the next hour I never picked up a rod while my wife and daughter caught multiple trout and sea bass. Apparently some spanish macs and/or blues around as they also got cut off multiple times so I was busy re-rigging, measuring and generally being a guide :-D

Finally had a chance to rig my rod and put a topwater plug on as no grass and the girls were doing fine on soft plastics. First cast and water explodes but no hook-up, multiple strikes back to the boat. Realized pretty quickly it was likely not trout or redfish but what the heck its topwater action, ended up being jacks, I landed several and they just about knocked the finish off of my plug before the day was done. Also picked up a couple of small trout on topwater before the wind/floating grass picked up. Most of the trout “short” were legal but only just so I don’t generally keep those.

Strange but it seemed the minute we crossed into 5’ or so we starting catching shorts and then the bite went away. Lots of boats in much shallower but they moved out some as the day went by. As high tide approached bite dropped off, picked up a good size blue fish then a couple of lady fish.

Had planned on following the tide in for some shallow redfish but ended up just staying out deeper.

I lost count of small trout and sea bass but we brought 5 fat 17” - 18” trout home, a cou-le of sea bass and my buddy contributed a flounder for the cooler. We hit Fiddlers on the way home for supper and didn’t break anything so a good day all around. Surprised at the number of boats out given the first day of general gun, county ramp lot was pretty full and some in the overflow parking too.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Steinhatchee 11/4/17

Post by silverking »

:thumbup: Sounds like a good day with your ladies.

Will be glad when hunting season really gets going to clear out the water some. FSU/UF football teams aren't doing their parts to thin the crowds, either. :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

silverking wrote::thumbup: Sounds like a good day with your ladies.

Will be glad when hunting season really gets going to clear out the water some. FSU/UF football teams aren't doing their parts to thin the crowds, either. :lol:
Plenty of room out there SK and the fish don't care if it's one boat or a dozen.
lmmoore

Post by lmmoore »

Sounds a lot like our trip there yesterday, 2 nice reds, 8 trout, but lots of lost tackle on blues, spanish, and ladyfish. We were fishing in close 3 to 4 feet of water. We had boat trouble and decided to come in to watch Georgia beat up on South Carolina. Great weather and a great weekend.