Fish in rivers yet?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Fish in rivers yet?

Post by DixieReb »

Has anybody caught any trout or reds in the rivers yet? I was thinking about trying them next week and wondered if anybody has had any luck. Thanks.
Yours in the South
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Fish in rivers yet?

Post by silverking »

Have heard of a few caught in the St. Marks.

Water temps were 63 degrees off Shell Point on Thursday but 67+ off Lanark/SGI Friday. Supposed to get into the upper 30s tonight, so the fish will probably be on the move.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

58-59 degrees in the Econfina this past Saturday. I intended to get out of the river before the tide bottomed out at 8:00 am, but the kid next door held Andrew and I up so long, we ended up at the mouth of the river about 7:30 am. The river was shallow and I was down to my last prop after starting out with 3 this year. We coasted with the tide at the mouth of the river and I landed two reds just inside the tripod (one that would keep at 24").

Headed out in a thick fog and found more reds out on the flats along with a few large trout. We ended the day with about 20 - 25 reds, 7 trout and a flounder. Smaller reds were schooled in the creek mouths, but larger ones out on the flats.

On the way back we fished the banks about 1/2 way up the Econfina and caught a couple more smaller reds. No trout.

- Steve Stinson
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

I keep a big boat in the water in St Marks.. Desperate to snag a red or trout from it.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I'm on break from teaching this week, so spent yesterday and today checking out St Marks area inshore. Thus far...

The creeks have been 90% redfish, 10% water. Don't even need bait. Fish were gobbling spoons & light jig/grub combos in Stoney Bayou & Deep Creek on end of low tide/early incoming. Two of my former Maclay runners combined for 17 reds in one hour on Monday at the Refuge. Mostly mid-slot. The kids were covered in mud, but all smiles.
reelsorry2
Site Sponsor

Post by reelsorry2 »

Good report Coach Gary. Not even gonna ask what you may be serving for Thanksgiving. Every one have a great Thanksgiving.