Steinhatchee 12-02-17 Report

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

zload
Site Sponsor

Steinhatchee 12-02-17 Report

Post by zload »

Splashed the boat around 9:30 with the solunar tables showing a max day and mid-day tides so I had high expectations for the admiral and her lowly deck hand. Quite a few boats at the county ramp so others had the same idea apparently.

Headed south in the calmest water I've seen in a good while, fished from about 6' into 3' water temp was 64.4 on arrival and it was just dead, nothing swimming around, little surface action and floating grass like crazy. Water was gin clear. We fished for several hours with nothing to show for it as the tide came up slowly. As the water started moving more we picked up some small sea bass and then got cut off a couple of times, finally boated a blue and a Spanish. Just before high tide picked a couple of keep trout 17" - 19".

Weather was stunning so we continued to fish and picked up lots of small sea bass, a couple of lady fish and some trophy level lizard fish. Moved a round a bit and late in the afternoon we caught 3 decent flounder in about 6' of water just pitching to sand holes. They were very aggressive at the bite when we could keep the 6" - 8" sea bass away from the jigs. Everything was on a gulp or other soft plastic, mainly white.

Ended up at Fiddlers with the big seafood and prime rib buffet, so a great trip despite not catching a ton of fish. I'm guessing the trout are off the flats for the most part especially with the colder weather coming.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Steinhatchee 12-02-17 Report

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: Yall did good, esp. the flounder. I missed one Thursday I wish I had caught. They bit a lot better at Aucilla, edge of the flats 4 ft. water.
Yours in the South
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Re: Steinhatchee 12-02-17 Report

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Sounds like a good day, may want to Move in a bit next time.