Are fishing regulations and enforcement, out of control?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dhawk

Are fishing regulations and enforcement, out of control?

Post by Dhawk »

I think they are.

It seems more about issuing tickets and collecting fines, than protecting any fish or other wildlife.
rockyg

Re: Are fishing regulations and enforcement, out of control?

Post by rockyg »

Depends on if it's your ox in the ditch.

I fished a lot in 2017. Back in the Spring I was checked on the water one time by a very professional FWC officer. He offered me a "safety decal" that I placed on my boat hull next to the registration number. In November I was checked by a newly minted and very nice female FWC officer at the boat ramp. I asked her if she would give me a new decal for my new boat. She was happy to oblige.

Both times the officers asked me if I had any fish on board. Both times they took my word that I did not.

So personally I have not experienced "out of control".

I don't mind fishing regulations too much. I don't need fish to feed my family, and I have a son and hopefully and grandkid one day that I would happily sacrifice my fish keeping ability if it means a future filled with fish for them to enjoy.

Others I'm sure feel differently.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

regulations seem overly complex. Dates, regions, types of tackle, etc by species. Without some very sound science, it's hard to manage at that level. I haven't seen the government produce data that detailed.

If the data doesn't exist, then I don't agree with flipping switches to see what happens. Why not simply close specific species for both commercial and recreational harvest until conditions improve?

Enforcement seems fine. Why spend money to create regs that arent' going to be enforced?

Guessing you had a bad experience?
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

Completely agree with @rockyg. I'm happy to throw fish back if it means my 2 year old son gets to catch them a few years from now.

I have no opinion on enforcement. Haven't had much interaction with them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

I don't completely agree with regs, in that I think 2 redfish limit instead of 1 is comparable to current 5 trout limit.
However, my experience with enforcement - which is extensive, as I am on the water a lot - has been positive. They simply check to make sure I'm within regs. I always am, so no problem. Kudos to FWC for doing their job. Those who break the rules should expect to pay the fines.
cotton

Post by cotton »

Give me more, not less, FWC on the water. Fishing from a kayak every weekend, I only get to chat with FWC about once a year. Unless your breaking the law or FWC is rude you shouldn’t mind. They also give good fishing tips. Lol

I had a wierd encounter a few weeks ago. I got back to the launch and started loading up only to see 2 FWC officers hustling to catch us. They then proceeded to expect every hidden compartment of my yak. That was a first for me. I can only assume someone living in one of the houses on the water, had called them. Maybe they had overheard us talking about the large number of trout we caught and assumed we were keeping them.

Whatever there reason: a report, training, etc.. it only took a second, and they were polite.
Dhawk

Post by Dhawk »

Well...yeah sure...if you havent broken just one of the dizzy-ing array of fishing regs, boat regs, boat trailer regs, license regs, snorkeling regs, scalloping regs,
and whatever other regs I may have missed.

You dont have anything to worry about. :roll:

NO, I haven't received a ticket lately. But been checked plenty of times, both on the water and at the ramp. Its never pleasant, no matter how "nice" the
officer might be. Im just a fisherman, who wants to enjoy a trip to the coast on a rare occasion. Im not out looking to break the law. Just catch a few fish
and enjoy the salt water/air.

Its government out of control, in my opinion.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I fish almost every weekend and can't remember the last time I was checked. It's been years. If you are getting checked that often, then you must look shady :wink:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I guess I just don't get it. As a duck hunter, I have been checked by Feds and local FWC, here and in MS and MO. We did something wrong in MS and got read the riot act, but we were in the wrong and should have known the regs. If you are gonna play, you gotta know the rules.

If a GW messes up a hunt by checking us while the ducks are flying, I will not be real nice about it, but other than that, no worries. Had a buddy get creeped up on from behind in the bushes and when the GW said "Game Warden" it scared the pooh outa him. He told the officer, that is not real bright sneaking up behind someone shooting at ducks. And they were flying everywhere. He was checked, found to be legal and the GW messed up his morning hunt. The GW asked for a ride back to the landing and he told him, sorry, only have 2 life vests (a lie). Walk your arse back the way you came, slick.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Just like any family, business, etc, there will be good ones and bad ones. I've been hunting/fishing in this area for 40 years and have only been approached a dozen or so times. I only had two "bad" experiences.

One dang near 20 years ago, while dove hunting at the family farm they swarmed in on us like we were running a counterfeit ring: jumped fences, climbed fences, left gates open (which let cows out), and had pretty bad attitudes while checking licenses, game, etc. They were younger wardens. We had some top sowed seed down and the lead fella got pretty lippy with my father about top sowing for agriculture and how if he was a Federal LEO he'd write us all up, etc... My father took the whole event pretty well up to that point and that's when he invited the fella to start writing tickets or get on his way. We never asked, but we figure they had a hot tip on a baited field, with folks shooting over the limit, and when they hit ours, they came in expecting trouble.

The second experience was about 6-7 years ago while out trolling for gags by myself in the winter. I was approached by FWC Officer Charlie Mallow, who came up from the side, rather than in my trolling line, was super courteous, did the inspection, etc, but to keep our boats separated, he held my boat back with his boots while I showed gear, catch, etc, which ultimately left his black boot marks on the side of my boat (this isn't the issue, I'm not "that" guy). About 3 days later, I was out again by myself trolling when 2 FWC Officers came up on me like I was a drug runner with their blue lights on, in my trolling line, and pretty bad attitudes. I explained that I had just gone through an inspection 3 days earlier and that if they looked at the side of my boat they could see the boot marks from Officer Mallow, them fellas couldn't give a rats behind, I was guilty until I proved I was innocent. When it was all said and done (and everything checked out legit), I asked them if they had any inspection stickers I could place on my boat, their response "it doesn't matter, we will do game inspections anyways".... Not, no buddy we don't or yes sir we do, but keep in mind we will still need to do game inspections even if you have already had a safety inspection, etc.... The ironic part, to this day, I remember Officer Mallow's name, yet I couldn't tell you who the other two fellas were to save my life. I suspect is was probably a Field Training Officer and a new hire, but that's purely speculation. I reckon kindness resonates with me, better than a bad attitude.

Two bad experiences in 40 years ain't nothing to complain about. Personally, I don't mind em, wish there were more of them, and definitely don't think they get paid nearly enough for what they do.

Ya'll have a good one.

Chris
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

I would be happy to see more officers around. I've been stopped twice last year and hardly yearly before that. I still run into fishermen that don't know Gag changed size or redfish limit changed. I'd love to stop seeing Woods n Water stop posting picture of what looks to me to be over the limit on red fish. Dates for pictures are this fall. Maybe it will help FWC out to see those.
I've had a couple go getter type FWC's stop me while hunting. I think one was sure I was hunting off property of the WMA. I didn't make his day, and he had a lot of attitude. I am sure it's a tiring job, but I wish them to catch more of the violators.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Well if we are telling FWC stories about 20 years ago I was sitting on the tip of "Location X......what a joke" in mid June looking for a Tarpon to swim by. This was prior to the great carpetbagger guide invasion and there were 4 of us in skiffs sitting in an organized row. About noon a FWC officer in a good size center console with twin big azz Merc 2-smokers on the back pulls up behind us and just sits there, about 100 feet away, with the engines running.

After what seemed like an hour (probably 10 minutes) I waived to the guy and motioned him to come towards me. When he got close I said "either check me or go away but you are killing our fishing". He actually said sorry, he did not mean to mess us up but he was hoping to see one of us jump a Tarpon. I'm sure I had some witty comment about how it's widely known that adult Tarpon can't hear 400 HP running directly in front of them......and even after that witty comment I didn't get cavity searched. :smt010

In fact he wished me well and hauled azz to parts unknown. :D
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton