St Marks trout thrashing

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks trout thrashing

Post by ugadawg »

Me and a buddy went on a two day fishing trip several years ago. We thought that 2 days allowed us to have possession of two limits. We had 14 trout on us when we got checked at the boat ramp, and learned that the law (according to the warden at the time) is that one limit has to be visibly frozen. Even though we had all our camping gear in the boat and it was obvious we were out there for two days, we ended up getting a ticket. I didn't think we were breaking the law, and the judge's and DA's expressions when I showed them the fishing regulations saying 5 per person daily limit made me think that if I fought it that I had a legitimate case. If I fought it I would lose more money from having to take off work than the fine would be, so I just paid it. I still wonder to this day if I would have won by fighting it though. Long story short, now I just keep enough for dinner and throw back the rest. I've found I don't like the taste of frozen fish compared to fresh anyhow.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

How is somebody going to freeze fish when they are camping? It's not like there's freezers in the campground. :-? That was just plain wrong.
Yours in the South
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

ugadawg wrote:Me and a buddy went on a two day fishing trip several years ago. We thought that 2 days allowed us to have possession of two limits. We had 14 trout on us when we got checked at the boat ramp, and learned that the law (according to the warden at the time) is that one limit has to be visibly frozen. Even though we had all our camping gear in the boat and it was obvious we were out there for two days, we ended up getting a ticket. I didn't think we were breaking the law, and the judge's and DA's expressions when I showed them the fishing regulations saying 5 per person daily limit made me think that if I fought it that I had a legitimate case. If I fought it I would lose more money from having to take off work than the fine would be, so I just paid it. I still wonder to this day if I would have won by fighting it though. Long story short, now I just keep enough for dinner and throw back the rest. I've found I don't like the taste of frozen fish compared to fresh anyhow.
You would have lost. Possession limits do not take effect if you on the water or adjacent to the water in a fishing area. Excepts are as follows From the FWC website

There is an exception that allows individuals to possess double the daily bag limit certain fish only when fishing from a headboat or charter boat on a trip that spans more than 24 hours and:
The vessel has a sleeping berth for each passenger aboard the vessel;
Each passenger possesses a receipt issued on behalf of the vessel that verifies the length of the trip.
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

crappielimits wrote:It is absolutely not true that you can carry filets or cleaned fish or any game over your possession limit. If you camp for a week, month or a year you can only possess two days limit. This includes your freezer at home legally.
You my friend are absolutely wrong! You need to learn the laws before speaking. The info I stated come right out of a FWC officers mouth! So if it was true what your saying is I can only keep a two day limit at home in my freezer at any time. So I can only fish two days out of the year without eating them! :lol:

Here I found you a quote from a FWC on the Florida Sportsman "ask the law" http://forums.floridasportsman.com/disc ... -limit-law
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

flatsbroke22 wrote:
crappielimits wrote:It is absolutely not true that you can carry filets or cleaned fish or any game over your possession limit. If you camp for a week, month or a year you can only possess two days limit. This includes your freezer at home legally.
You my friend are absolutely wrong! You need to learn the laws before speaking. The info I stated come right out of a FWC officers mouth! So if it was true what your saying is I can only keep a two day limit at home in my freezer at any time. So I can only fish two days out of the year without eating them! :lol:

Here I found you a quote from a FWC on the Florida Sportsman "ask the law" http://forums.floridasportsman.com/disc ... -limit-law
I have always believed what crappielimits says is right, that said I wouldn't bet on it. Because of my proximity to the water I don't really freeze fish so.... Now, I personally would not tell a FWC officer or the judge or whoever that I heard it was legal because you got your information by word of mouth or someone online,LOL. That would make me feel like more of idiot than I already was ! I know a few of them FWC fellers, I'll see if they all can give me the same answer.
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

First that's not who I heard it from just a quote. Second the quoted answer is from a officer. Believe it or not. The reason I know this is because we go to Econfina for a three day trip twice a year and needed to know how to legally transport all those fish home. It just makes sence, otherwise you couldn't go anywhere and fish for more than two days and bring your fish home. What if you vacation for a week and fish and catch a limit everyday. Guess you go home after day two or not fish anymore. :roll:
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

flatsbroke22 wrote:First that's not who I heard it from just a quote. Second the quoted answer is from a officer. Believe it or not. The reason I know this is because we go to Econfina for a three day trip twice a year and needed to know how to legally transport all those fish home. It just makes sence, otherwise you couldn't go anywhere and fish for more than two days and bring your fish home. What if you vacation for a week and fish and catch a limit everyday. Guess you go home after day two or not fish anymore. :roll:
Again you may be right, however none of this would hold up in court...And I'm a non attorney spokes person
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

I can't find anywhere that states you can not have a 100 trout in your freezer. It maybe a tier two question....I still believe your not allowed as many as you think.
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

I reccomend you don't take my word or anyone else's word for it. Especially those guys on Florida Sportsman. Call FWC and get from the officers themselves. They are not going to check your freezer. I was just stating the law. I have known in extreme situations officers to check freezers at marinas and camp grounds. Also transporting said illegal fish over state lines is huge additional fines. Here is the contact number for the northwest region office 850-265-3676. I call from time to time to get clarification on regulations. They may have to have an officer call you back.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

flatsbroke22 wrote:First that's not who I heard it from just a quote. Second the quoted answer is from a officer. Believe it or not. The reason I know this is because we go to Econfina for a three day trip twice a year and needed to know how to legally transport all those fish home. It just makes sence, otherwise you couldn't go anywhere and fish for more than two days and bring your fish home. What if you vacation for a week and fish and catch a limit everyday. Guess you go home after day two or not fish anymore. :roll:
What you describe is our problem in Canada. We have to eat or clean and gift our birds or we can't keep shooting. I am not sure you are correct. Freezing it does not make it food. By your logic, you can keep as many daily limits as you want and there is no such thing as a possession limit. I don't see how that can be correct.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Guess you go home after day two or not fish anymore. :roll:
Someone told me once that there is no law that you HAVE to keep a legal limit every time you fish. They could be wrong though. :roll: :lol:
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

onefishtwofish wrote:
Someone told me once that there is no law that you HAVE to keep a legal limit every time you fish. They could be wrong though. :roll: :lol:

No $@-$ Dick Tracy!

This is a serious question that evidently no one knows the exact answer to in writing. I'm talking to a FWC officer and he's looking for the statues that apply. As of yet he has not found any in writing. Everything is just word of mouth and that gets construed.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

onefishtwofish wrote:
To some on here, this isn’t a joke
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I have reached out directly to FWC and hope a LEO will chime in to clear up the confusion.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

It was kinda a joke and kinda not Salty. The point being that just because you fish X number of days have no bearing on the possession limit.

I know I went through this for about a month with the USFWS. Their wording on this as it pertains to waterfowl is intentionally vague. Their intention is that they don't want to bust Johnny Lunchpail who is feeding his family with his take. They agreed that waterfowl are groceries when in your domicile and no longer evident as waterfowl (sausage, stew, duck and rice), but will not go so far as to agree with that in regards to frozen breasts or whole ducks. This is done so they can bust guys like Jeff Foiles that are shooting other's limits, keeping well over the limit (bag and possession) by raiding their house/camps and confiscating everything. The intention is not to limit the harvest, it is to limit the game hogs and the violators.

The interpretation of an officer is absolutely meaningless to me. I have been arrested once over the word of an officer about a totally different matter (he was later forced in to early retirement as a result of lying under oath). I will watch this thread with interest, as my google search produced practically no results. There was no single resource I could find in the published regs or Fl statute. It is truly ridiculous that it is this hard to get an answer. No wonder LEO gets it wrong.

At least this is not a federal issue as those guys are letter of the law. You can almost see their disappointment when all is legal.