St. Marks

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Boudreux

St. Marks

Post by Boudreux »

Anybody got a fishing report out of St. Marks? Got a few days off of work coming up and I'm thinking about heading out that way.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks

Post by GaryDroze »

If you get into the St Marks Refuge creeks, you will limit on trout, unless my high school students have caught them all first.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Heavy fog all day today until high winds blew it out after about 3pm, got pretty sporty after that with big rollers at the river mouth. Found a few trout in the creeks but wind made it tough.
fishdux

Post by fishdux »

Really low tide today. As was mentioned before the sea fog was nuts. East river was the only place we found fish today. Not a crazy bite but it was pretty steady once we found them.
cody0707

Post by cody0707 »

I went out and fished the west side of long bar yesterday, I anchored up right near the mackerel hole. The tide was going out pretty quickly. I was in about 3 feet of water. I caught a limit of trout in 2 hours. Probably caught 15-20 in that 2 hours. Here is the series of texts I sent to my wife and to my father in law who bailed on the trip at the last minute.

8:19- 1 on ice
8:23- 2 on ice
8:26- 3
9:05- 1 more to limit

Not sure when I hooked up to the last one. I made a phone call to my father in law to tell him I had limited out at 9:48 though. I caught a pile that were right at 14". The biggest for the day was right at 18". The fog rolled in pretty heavy around 8:30. I had a few boats almost setup on top of me. On the way back in it looked like most boats saw the fog and never ventured out of the river. Visibility was poor. Maybe 30 yards.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

cody0707 wrote:I went out and fished the west side of long bar yesterday, I anchored up right near the mackerel hole. The tide was going out pretty quickly. I was in about 3 feet of water. I caught a limit of trout in 2 hours. Probably caught 15-20 in that 2 hours. Here is the series of texts I sent to my wife and to my father in law who bailed on the trip at the last minute.

Not sure when I hooked up to the last one. I made a phone call to my father in law to tell him I had limited out at 9:48 though. I caught a pile that were right at 14". The biggest for the day was right at 18". The fog rolled in pretty heavy around 8:30. I had a few boats almost setup on top of me. On the way back in it looked like most boats saw the fog and never ventured out of the river. Visibility was poor. Maybe 30 yards.

Thanks for the report. Is the mackerel hole anywhere near the Spanish hole?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Swampcreek

Post by Swampcreek »

We went out saturday from 12-4. Three boats and one 24" red, and a black drum in one of the boats. I caught one small trout and ladyfish. I don't know where they were, no where near me. I stopped at the fog right before the mouth, the boat that caught keepers went through it. My boat was feeling like a poppin cork with all the boats going by. The girls got to watch a dolphin smash mullet out of some grass for a little while. There were alot of people out there, mostly cruising.
WetBandit

Post by WetBandit »

GaryDroze wrote:If you get into the St Marks Refuge creeks, you will limit on trout, unless my high school students have caught them all first.

I did well out there a couple weeks ago. Interestingly, I found a whole school of trout where almost all of them were scratched up/gouged like something else besides myself was after them. I thought maybe a small gator? Have you or your students seen any of that? Just curious.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

WetBandit wrote:
GaryDroze wrote:If you get into the St Marks Refuge creeks, you will limit on trout, unless my high school students have caught them all first.

I did well out there a couple weeks ago. Interestingly, I found a whole school of trout where almost all of them were scratched up/gouged like something else besides myself was after them. I thought maybe a small gator? Have you or your students seen any of that? Just curious.
Plenty of gators of all sizes in the refuge. Could be gators, sharks,dolphin, bigger fish, an illegal net or even disease. No telling
cody0707

Post by cody0707 »

Salty Gator wrote:
cody0707 wrote:I went out and fished the west side of long bar yesterday, I anchored up right near the mackerel hole. The tide was going out pretty quickly. I was in about 3 feet of water. I caught a limit of trout in 2 hours. Probably caught 15-20 in that 2 hours. Here is the series of texts I sent to my wife and to my father in law who bailed on the trip at the last minute.

Just looked at my chart. It is actually the Spanish Hole.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

Since we are telling, what were you dragging through that mackerel hole to catch those trout?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

cody0707 wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:

I believe it’s called that because of Spanish ships would that anchor there. Or maybe someone caught some Spanish mackerel there :lol:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Salty Gator wrote:
cody0707 wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:

I believe it’s called that because of Spanish ships would that anchor there. Or maybe someone caught some Spanish mackerel there :lol:

It got its name, because it is Juan's hole. Juan goes by JumpTrout on this forum. Juan say you no wanna fish in Juan's hole! :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
cody0707

Post by cody0707 »

Apalachee Inshore wrote:Since we are telling, what were you dragging through that mackerel hole to catch those trout?
I was using Saltwater Assassin 4" sea shads in Electric Chicken rigged to a jig head and was also throwing a DOA deadly combo. Both were catching them. I was alternating bait. If I missed one with one rig I would throw the other around the same spot to try and get the fish to bite.

FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

Fished yesterday from the Lighthouse to Cobb Rock in 2-4 feet of water. Water temp was right at 70. Only bite all day was 1 flounder near lighthouse. Not even a trash fish or a nibble. Beat sittin at home!