Trying to learn the creeks

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

hardhead

Trying to learn the creeks

Post by hardhead »

A friend and I took our boys down to st marks today to take advantage of the big tide and try to learn how to do some creek fishing. I've been reading how you professionals are racking up in creek mouths and wanted to give it a try. Got to the fort around 1130 and dumped the boat in. Ran down and out to a couple rock piles to try and kill some time until we had enough water to explore some creeks. We were able to put the kids on some bsb and a few flounder. Image water depth 9-10 ft. Water Temp was around 65. White 4in gulp and z-man shrimp. White with pink on Jig heads. Finally decided it was about time to try a few creeks. Apparently there is a fine science to it. We tried a couple and only found skinny water and mud. My buddy hooked up with one red around an oysterbar but it came unbuttoned before we could get it to the boat. In around 1.5-2.5 feet. Water temp never got above 66. We could see some trout swimming around in the skinny but it was gin clear and we couldn't buy a bite. Tried spoons, various plastics, and mirrolures with no love. Hopefully we will pick the right creek next time!Image But beautiful skies and perfect air temp and good friends made for a great sat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Re: Trying to learn the creeks

Post by Blue spinner »

looks like that was a good catch for the day
like to see them flounder
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

We had a similar plan yesterday. The creekmouths usually have a shallow sand bar and a small channel that goes into the creek. It really helps to find the channel if you want to get in without a lot of water. Once in the creek it’s usually pretty deep. Outside edges are deeper. With the stiffer than predicted north wind yesterday, it blew a lot of water out. We didn’t get to any creekmouths as we found a large school of reds on a rockpile and didn’t have to move much once we found them. Great job on the flatties, best eating inshore fish in the gulf( some may argue pompano, but that’s another debate). Thanks for posting
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Nice day. Those boys look happy with their flounder bounty. I agree with SG, best tasting fish in the Gulf.

Keep at it and you'll get the reds dialed in. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
hardhead

Post by hardhead »

Thanks for the info SG. Finding the channel I think is the challenge for the first time in an area. For me anyway. Made me a bit nervous trying to find that sweet spot to enter. I'm paranoid about finding one of those rocks I hear y'all talk about!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Google earth is a great way to get a feel for the deep water in the creek mouths before you go. make a plan by looking for what you want to see. And don't just take the date that preloads. Check several dates in all different times of the year. You can see bars, sandy spots and deep water. I love a bar, near the mouth, that tapers out to deep water (don't we all!) and then fish the down flow side depending on the tide. Work the whole thing, but work them well. Fish are moving on and around them, so fish the spot well before moving on. Once you see where they are that day (bars, deep water, grass edge) then start looking for those spots that day.

We were in a creek last week and were doing very well, rising, even through the slack, and falling. But the sun went behind some clouds and ended the fishing where we were (and the No See Ums ran us out). That day the fish were holding off the grass lines, about 5-25 feet, especially where there were oysters on the bottom.

Oh yeah, I make it sound easy, but some days we don't find them either.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?