Steinhatchee 3/3 and 3/4

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Will In The Wild

Steinhatchee 3/3 and 3/4

Post by Will In The Wild »

Took my boss down to Steinhatchee on Friday. He had never fished the flats and didn't know what to expect. We put in a long day on the water. Overall it was a solid day. We caught over 30 fish total. Ended up with 5 keeper trout and 2 Spanish mackerel. Lots of trout just under the limit. We fished every depth at some point during the day and tried about every bait in the box. Our most productive part of the day was from 8 to 10 in the morning fishing 3 to 4 feet of water and from 3 to 4 in the afternoon. Most productive bait was a D.O.A under a popping cork.

We stayed at Good Times and got up Saturday to try them again. The wind was no better but the fishing was pretty good. We fished just south of the channel and drifted from 3 feet to 6. We would pick up a few on each drift. We ended up with another 6 keeper trout and 2 more Spanish by lunch. Dropped my boss off at the ramp and sent him home with a nice mess of fish. My buddy and his wife jumped on and we went back out. It was around 2 and the wind had really picked up, so we decided to join the armada of boats at the end of the channel catching sand trout. That made for a fun afternoon. We lost count of how many we caught. I kept a few of the bigger ones to try. I have never cooked any. While sitting just off the channel I also caught a couple of short regular trout, one red, one Spanish, and a flounder. Never thought I would complete a slam while anchored just off the channel. Was overall a great weekend. Wish I could have stayed to do it again today.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Steinhatchee 3/3 and 3/4

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Sounds like a good 2 days work. Sand(or white) trout are good eating. I only keep the bigger ones as smaller ones are boney. And they don't freeze very well.
Yours in the South
Will In The Wild

Re: Steinhatchee 3/3 and 3/4

Post by Will In The Wild »

We put a few on the grill. Very good. Glad we decided to keep a few. We pretty much only kept the oboes over 14”.