Carabelle help

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

drucker

Carabelle help

Post by drucker »

I'm gong to Carabelle fishing next weekend for the first time. Can someone give me some pointers for fishing the area?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Carabelle help

Post by silverking »

Inshore or heading out for grouper? What boat will you be in?

Where do you normally fish for comparison?

Carrabelle is similar to St. Marks, for example, except the water is generally clearer. Shrimp lures, weedless spoon, jerk baits and topwater lures are good choices. Silver, chrome, pearl and chartreuse all work well there inshore.

Some nice grass flats around Lanark Reef, on the backsides of Dog and SGI. Spanish should be in deeper water with the warmer water and pompano are around the ends of the islands in the sand troughs.
Last edited by silverking on April 22nd, 2018, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

There is sandbar the length of Dog Island on the back side look for 3 to 4 feet of water. Use baits describe by SK also use popping cork with a new penny color. Watch out for sharks.
drucker

Post by drucker »

I usually fish around Keaton Beach. We usually fish for trout and reds. I'll be in 20ft Xpress CC. I will not be going off shore.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

So not much difference from Keaton to Lanark/Carrabelle. Look for mixed bottom (sand potholes/grass) and adjust depths according to action. You should do well with the water temps up and the approaching full moon. :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
drucker

Post by drucker »

Thanks for the info. All is appreciated.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

silverking wrote:So not much difference from Keaton to Lanark/Carrabelle. Look for mixed bottom (sand potholes/grass) and adjust depths according to action. You should do well with the water temps up and the approaching full moon. :thumbup:
Amen to Spotty Bottom! have had some good days there looking for Spotty Bottom. salute3
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Russ@R&R

Post by Russ@R&R »

I have good luck in 3-4 ft. of water where sand/grass meet all the way from Ho-Hum Campground all the way to Carrabelle. Z-Man Shrimp or Trout Trick on a jig head alone or under a popping cork and bone colored walking baits.
drucker

Post by drucker »

Where do you get the Zman shrimp from. I got a pack for Christmas and those lasted forever but I can't find them in store.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

drucker wrote:Where do you get the Zman shrimp from. I got a pack for Christmas and those lasted forever but I can't find them in store.
Depends on where you're at, but most big-box stores carry them. Crums has a few, and I think Kevins still have a few Zmans remaining, though they're mostly transferring over to Slayer, Inc.

TBH, the best price/variety you're going to find around here is going to be at Bass Pro.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Russ@R&R

Post by Russ@R&R »

I got mine on Ebay. Nobody close to me carries them.
MadMan

Post by MadMan »

I’m pretty sure Trophy Creek in Monticello FL carries Zman as well.
drucker

Post by drucker »

We fished Saturday and caught a ton of lady fish and 1 short trout. We packed up Sunday morning and went to Spring Warrior and kept 5 trout, 2 reds, and a black.