SJB Report, 4/26-27

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

SJB Report, 4/26-27

Post by silverking »

Wanted to pass this along with the club tourney scheduled for this weekend at St. Joe Bay. Took the pup camping/fishing last week. Launched at Eagle's Harbor Thursday am to howling NW winds. Poled for long stretch along the cape looking for reds without success. Water is typical crystal clear in the shallows that are somewhat protected from the wind. Saw a few pinfish and jumping mullet but not many. Lost a real nice flounder at the boat (DOA root beer/glitter shrimp) when my first mate got excited and tried to help land it. Caught a few trout on chrome Skitter Walks mid-day. Water temps were 69-73 degrees. The head of the bay was clear, although the stretch inside of Blacks Island was totally silted up from the wind.

Wind was even stronger Friday so decided to launch at Mexico Beach and hug the beach running to Crooked Island Sound. Big waves and the prospect of more forced me to turn around. Loaded up, made the drive back to the park and relaunched. Had some action right away on the grass patches in 4-5 feet of water. Skitter Walk again the choice with nice bluefish and ladies slamming the topwater. Got tired of that, poled for another long stretch hunting reds and only saw some nice sharks in the shallows. Did see my largest bonnethead ever at 4-plus feet, along with a couple blacktips. Plenty of turtles around. Finally got tired of wind burn and packed it in.

Always a cool spot to sight-fish with the water clarity. The SCA, high pressure and full moon conditions didn't do me any favors this time, though.

Good luck to all this weekend.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat