St Marks 5/2/18

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

St Marks 5/2/18

Post by onefishtwofish »

Promised to take niece-in-law fishing during her spring break. We went to St Marks since we just wanted anything that would stretch the line for her (she is new to fishing). Nephew and I boated about a ton of ladyfish (well, not boated, we did the "sportsman's release" boatside ie give them a ton of chances to spit the hook). We caught dink trout for much of the day (14 1/2-14 7/8). Did get two keepers, but were not in a keeping mode anyways. Moved inshore and spotted quite a few reds, but none wanted to eat.

The really cool event of the day was in Big Cove. We were easing along and I said "Hey look, there is a huge shark up there right along the bottom". As we got closer, we noticed it was only moving it's tail. We got really close and realized the shark had a really long snout and 4 legs! 8' alligator. We went right over his head in about 4 feet of water- he never spooked on the TM or did much but just kinda move off.

Did get a 4 foot shark for my niece to fight (all new fisherman love catching sharks, don't know why that is). Wore her out, so she was happy. He bit the leader right at the boat, which saved us from the obligatory picture they all want.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks 5/2/18

Post by silverking »

Thanks for the report. Had a similar experience yesterday to the west (Pine Island) only I didn't see any reds. Water was surprisingly clear with all the wind.

I've seen a few gators in Big Cove over the years. Early one morning one was cruising on the surface while we were casting nearby. A seagull landed and floated, only to fly off squawking a few minutes later trailing feathers. It almost became that gator's breakfast.

Cool to see them laying on the bottom like that in shallow water. Gary's pets really are prehistoric critters.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks 5/2/18

Post by Salty Gator »

Good report Doc, glad y’all got out
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven