Carrabelle River, 3rd week of June

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Russ@R&R

Post by Russ@R&R »

Does anyone bother fishing up the river(s) at Carrabelle this time of year? We'll be staying at a riverfront rental at the big curve about 3/4 mi. above the bridge in Carrabelle, and I'm just trying to find out if fishing up the river would be worth it. Also, if I run west from the mouth of the river, are there any hazards I need to know about? My son & I want to go over to, what was, our favorite wade-fishing area. Thanks for any info.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Carrabelle River, 3rd week of June

Post by Steve Stinson »

My partner here at work fishes upriver in Carrabelle during the warm months, but he is a bass fisherman. I would add that he catches some reds in the mouths of the feeder creeks while he is fishing for bass. Most of the saltwater fish follow the bait, so they are going to be out on the flats. Another factor is that we have had so much rain that we are sleeping in our life jackets down here, so that is going to make the river full of muddy fresh water. You may find an occasional red in the river, but I would not expect to find any trout.

I would go out on the flats either to the east or west of the river mouth depending on where you could find cleaner water. Just west of the mouth is a cove with some oyster bars that can hold some fish. You need to go out of the river following the markers then turn West, then turn again and go straight in to this area. You can see the shallow area near the rivermouth on Google Earth that you have to get around.
Russ@R&R

Post by Russ@R&R »

Thanks Steve, I figured the fish would be out on the flats or beyond, but I just wanted to be sure. I'll check out those bars if the water's right when I'm down there. Thanks again.
bbb

Post by bbb »

We have gigged flounder up to the big curve in the middle of summer before. But never went above it. But with all this rain, who knows.
Russ@R&R

Post by Russ@R&R »

bbb, We will be staying right in that big curve. With all the rain coming, I will keep a check to make sure the house is still there.
Russ@R&R

Post by Russ@R&R »

Time is drawing near to head to Carrabelle. Anybody fishing that area have any reports? I'm thinking Dog Island Reef may be a good spot to try. Would I be better off just to trailer over to Lanark Market to put in, instead of going out of Carrabelle, just to avoid the long idle out?
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Lanark went "members only", fees might shock a non-member, if non-members can even launch, others will have more detail, better to idle out, just my opinion.
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

You might try ramp on Timber Island road, it’s a free county ramp real close to mouth Carrabelle river. I have done well on reds along hwy 98 east of Carrabelle river. There are also good reds on Dog Island ,bayside. I’ve done well on upper slot using the new penny gulps. When fish’n Dog Island, usually go with live pin fish or cut them in half if too big. Don’t take your trout rods red fish’n on Dog, like taking knife to gun fight.
Russ@R&R

Post by Russ@R&R »

We wound up just trailering to Lanark Market, since I am more familiar with the fishing areas over there. Plus, it way too dang hot to idle for that long to get out on the Carrabelle River!! As far as the fishing goes....it was as bad as I've ever experienced down there. We went out early on the morning of the 20th. HOT, still, not a cloud to be seen at dawn. We caught a few short trout, some ladyfish and a small shark in the 4 hours we were out. All were caught on ZMan Trout Tricks.
On the 21st, I took the whole family out to Dog Island to hang on the beach area east of the marina cut. I tried wade-fishing a couple of nearby sand/grass/ledge areas but no takers. I went back to the shade of our tent and hung out by the cooler the rest of the day. We'll try again next time.