St. Marks 7-28

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Srbenda

St. Marks 7-28

Post by Srbenda »

Went down with the intention of some nearshore fishing, and then scalloping.
Early morning storm killed the nearshore concept, and a huge rain squall blew in, which pushed us further east.
We ended up fishing about 4 miles east of the sandbar for about 2 hours. Landed a 35" spotted shark, and 4 black sea bass, 3 of which were keepers. The BSB were all caught on white paddletails fished very slow on the bottom

One short trout as well.

Another big thunderhead was building in the west, so we opted to head in. As it turned out, the storm dissipated, and we could have stayed out, but better safe than sorry.

The 3 BSB were a perfect dinner for the family, and while a bit tougher to clean than trout, they're better eating.

All photos copyright @saverymill
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks 7-28

Post by DixieReb »

BSB are great eating! I always like to catch a few keeper sized ones when I fish for trout. :lick:
Yours in the South
Swampcreek

Re: St. Marks 7-28

Post by Swampcreek »

Went out saturday from the light house. Boat wouldn't plane out so that kept me close by. Hit outside of the channel and caught a big shark i think. Never saw it but it had my rod bent almost breaking and it ran three times from the boat before cutting the line above the poppin cork. That was cut pinfish. Live shrimp we got a red and a nice trout, one small and tons of bait fish. 2-3' long nose gar. Few catfish. The fishing was on but the fish were not what we wanted. I trolled the grass line from the light house to the point looking for a red but got squat. That usually is my method of getting a few.
My boat motor was running good just not throwing me into a plane. So that kept me from going any further than a mile of the light house.

We did get to go into the light house for a quick tour. My brother has been helping redo it the whole time. They just finished up with the handicap ramp. Maybe it will be open soon. The inside looks great. It's a long way to the top.