August 17-19

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishfalcon

August 17-19

Post by fishfalcon »

Had not been down to fish in a while so I was excited to get out on the water despite the reports of poor fishing and terrible water clarity. Fished alone Friday and found very tannin stained water with some floating grass. No action at all at my first two stops. Ran out looking for better water and saw a few birds working. Stopped and threw a topwater. Caught a few ladies and then managed a limit of trout to 20" and a 24" Spanish in the next 30 minutes. Trout were almost gold from being in the dark water. On Saturday, I had a boat full of kids who wanted to fish so we set out at 7 am (early for them, late for me). I ran out to where I had found the fish on Friday and it was calm enough you could see the bait schools. We found a group that was being harassed and started fishing. We threw small topwaters and small silver twitch baits and just pounded the fish. We caught countless ladies, blues, a few jacks and kept 5 trout to 22" plus a 28" Spanish before we ran in for breakfast. Spent the rest of the day dodging thunderstorms without much luck. Sunday morning we were back at it chasing baits and birds. Again caught a bunch of ladyfish with 2 trout and 2 Spanish. Great trip until a flopping ladyfish drove not one but two hooks through my left wrist requiring about 15 minutes of on boat surgery for removal. Fish were in 4-10 feet of water but we were fishing the top two feet of the water column. Presence of bait was much more important than depth. Water temp was 85.
FTReelty

Re: August 17-19

Post by FTReelty »

Great weekend of fishing-never know unless you go. I had the boat hooked up Saturday night and truck loaded to head down Sunday. Slept in....didn't think I would catch a thing because of the negative reports-it worked! Thanks for update!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Great report. Thanks. Glad you and the kids got on some, and some quality fish, too! That style of run-and-gun fishing is very effective. You never know until you go.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes »

That's GREAT fishing for this time of year....great job!
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Awesome... Nice work! They're out there folks. No Daily democrap newspapers needed

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image